Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

W-SS "Artllerie" EM/NCO visor opinion needed please

Article about: by BenVK Badges are fake so we can ignore those. Before being affirmative on a first fast impression... Now I think that we can conclude the opposite from it, the insignia set is quite authe

KSH
    ?

Default Re: W-SS "Artllerie" EM/NCO visor opinion needed please

Quote by BenVK View Post
    The most important part of judging a visor cap is looking at the interior and the underside of the leather sweatband. Each cap tells it's own story and leaves traces and evidence of that story. I see details here that I like and that I don't like in equal measure.

Look at the black staining under the back part of the leather where the metal pin joins it together then look at the black staining on the lining, it's at least an inch to right in the cap, the left in the photo.
    I am always impressed by your deductive approach to these caps, Ben! In your opinion what could be a likely explanation for the "staining discrepancy" you have pointed out above? Has something been rearranged perhaps?

- Kenneth

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement W-SS "Artllerie" EM/NCO visor opinion needed please
    P
    Many

?

Rearranged is a good way to put it Kenneth.

Have a look at this image also.

There are obvious signs of sewing thread staining the lining at certain places but the sewing threads are no longer evident in the hat. Also look at the corresponding stains on the underside of the sweatband. None seem to match do they?

It's not rocket science, just photo analysis.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture W-SS "Artllerie" EM/NCO visor opinion needed please  

KSH
    ?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Rearranged is a good way to put it Kenneth.

Have a look at this image also.

There are obvious signs of sewing thread staining the lining at certain places but the sewing threads are no longer evident in the hat. Also look at the corresponding stains on the underside of the sweatband. None seem to match do they?

It's not rocket science, just photo analysis.
    Not rocket science, but subtleties that easily can elude the untrained eye of inexperienced collectors (including yours truly). And you are of course correct, no staining patterns match at all which must indicate extensive tampering.

Thank you for your helpful reply, Ben!

- Kenneth

?

Quote by KSH View Post
    Not rocket science, but subtleties that easily can elude the untrained eye of inexperienced collectors (including yours truly).
    I wouldn't say that. I'm sure you noticed the same details that I did but just were not sure if you should mention it or not.

That's how it goes with trying to authenticate items based on forum photos. It's difficult and challenging and comes with very little reward.

Take Pascal for example, he posts at least 2 items per week for opinion yet rarely says thank you for any of the feedback he gets.

KSH
    ?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I wouldn't say that. I'm sure you noticed the same details that I did but just were not sure if you should mention it or not.

That's how it goes with trying to authenticate items based on forum photos. It's difficult and challenging and comes with very little reward.
    True, but I didn't fully realize the implications of my observations before your input to the thread.

It truly is difficult to authenticate visor caps (not that I am in a position to do so) for instance via 2-dimensional pictures without being able to feel, smell and experience the cap firsthand.

I am not sure what would constitute a reward in these cases, but I for certain appreciate all that you (and others) have done for me in this regard - helping me out with my two visors (the Heer Medical Officer's cap & the Luftwaffe HG EM/NCO cap) without getting anything material in return for it.

I am much obliged to you all

- Kenneth

?

Quote by KSH View Post
    I am much obliged to you all - Kenneth
    That's it! that's all we require.

KSH
    ?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    That's it! that's all we require.
    And that's not too much to ask for! I hope I have always been courteous in my endeavors to learn from the more experienced collectors and when I have asked for their assistance - I certainly try to be.

- Kenneth

?

You have been Kenneth and it's much appreciated.

Thanks Ben I know, but think on this cap it's really difficult to tell if the insignia are fakes...

of course design of the eagle could be a first point, don't know this design, it's near to the M1/167 Hicke design...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture W-SS "Artllerie" EM/NCO visor opinion needed please  

Angry Re: W-SS "Artllerie" EM/NCO visor opinion needed please

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Take Pascal for example, he posts at least 2 items per week for opinion yet rarely says thank you for any of the feedback he gets.
    Sorry Ben, but I do not agree with you ! I always thank for help. Please help yourself and find a post where I did not say "thanks" for help !

Just in this thread, I thanked the contributors several times for their inputs.
    That it is the least we should do for any answer, sorry if I do not jump on my PC as soon as I see BenVK who made me the honor to answer one of my question…
    Last edited by Pascal BERNHARD; 11-19-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast