Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

W-SS Officer's Visor from Wilkins book

Article about: Gentlemen, I posted this cap for review on another forum and wanted to hear opinions here as well. Some of you may recognize this cap - it is pictured in the Gary Wilkins book as an example

This hat is up for sale for 16K.
    Needs an in-hand:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture W-SS Officer's Visor from Wilkins book   W-SS Officer's Visor from Wilkins book  

W-SS Officer's Visor from Wilkins book   W-SS Officer's Visor from Wilkins book  

W-SS Officer's Visor from Wilkins book   W-SS Officer's Visor from Wilkins book  

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement W-SS Officer's Visor from Wilkins book
    P
    Many

I am interested that you are concerned about the lining of this cap which you correctly point out is of the type normally found in EM/NCO caps. I have a Grey SS "General's" Officers cap which I purchased in 1962 from a well known (at the time) dealer in London for the princely sum of 20GBpds which also has a similar lining to the cap in question, namely the EM/NCO type. My cap also has a leather peak and the material is tricot with a black velvet band. I have approached two well known "Reputable" dealers to ask them to authenticate the cap and the response of one was to say it was a "Maybe" and offered to write a report for me if I cared to send him the cap along with 100GBpds
    Amongst all the other concerns that I have with that request I don't trust the Postal Services to deliver the cap

Why not post photographs of your cap here? In my opinion the opinions of Stonemint and Arran would carry more weight than most dealers (who are, in fairness, forced to spread their knowledge and expertise over a wide variety of areas and items).

There are several reasons why I have not posted photographs of my "General's" grey SS cap on the forum so far. They are as follows
    1. I am not in the class of membership of this forum that is permitted to post items for evaluation at the moment, however I will upgrade my membership if required.
    2. The second dealer who I sent a few photographs of the cap to, who is very highly regarded as being honest and ethical, initially offered the opinion that it was highly unlikely that a "General's" cap would have an EM/NCO type lining, but he did offer to show the photographs to some colleagues who are more knowledgeable on SS items, and I am awaiting a response from him before deciding whether I will post my cap on this website.
    3. I have seen many items on this website and other forums that are assessed as being fake or reproductions, which quite frankly are obviously the genuine article, as such I am reluctant to toss a cap, which I purchased in 1962, before collecting TR militaria was very popular, and when it was readily available and quite inexpensive, into the Gladiators pit, and possibly miss it being assessed by someone who really know their subject.

[1. I am not in the class of membership of this forum that is permitted to post items for evaluation at the moment, however I will upgrade my membership if required.]

You should contribute regardless because of the ability to have access to the wonderful and helpful
    minds that populate this site without the spite and ruckus of other sites.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2