Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Waffen-SS NCO’s Visor “Crusher” Cap

Article about: This nice gray SS cap has come up for auction and I thought I'd post it for review. While I have become more adept at authenticating the totenkopf insignia, the cap itself requires more know

?

Default Waffen-SS NCO’s Visor “Crusher” Cap

This nice gray SS cap has come up for auction and I thought I'd post it for review. While I have become more adept at authenticating the totenkopf insignia, the cap itself requires more knowledge and experience than I possess. The cap appears correct to me but I'd like opinions from the real connoisseurs. Thank you, Al

[/Waffen-SS NCO’s Visor “Crusher” CapWaffen-SS NCO’s Visor “Crusher” CapWaffen-SS NCO’s Visor “Crusher” CapWaffen-SS NCO’s Visor “Crusher” CapWaffen-SS NCO’s Visor “Crusher” CapWaffen-SS NCO’s Visor “Crusher” CapWaffen-SS NCO’s Visor “Crusher” CapWaffen-SS NCO’s Visor “Crusher” Cap

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen-SS NCO’s Visor “Crusher” Cap
    P
    Many

Need under the hood photos and closeups of the piping joinders.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

The insignia is real which is a good start.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

The same website is offering this Officer's visor and rather than start another thread that will probably lead nowhere, I thought I'd just continue on here. I suspect there are not enough detailed or "under the hood" photo's to form a solid opinion about authenticity. The only thing that stands out to me is the late war zinc "three prong" totenkopf affixed to the cap. I know these are accepted as original but I thought I also read somewhere that they appear on many high end forged caps because of their relative abundance. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

Waffen-SS NCO’s Visor “Crusher” CapWaffen-SS NCO’s Visor “Crusher” Cap

Waffen-SS NCO’s Visor “Crusher” Cap

?

Just one question: why should this be a crusher cap? (If we translate "Feldmütze alter Art" by "Crusher").

?

Quote by ErWeSa View Post
    Just one question: why should this be a crusher cap? (If we translate "Feldmütze alter Art" by "Crusher").
    Honestly I don't know. I'm just using the "collectors" vernacular for caps that have been manipulated to achieve a certain desired shape. I suppose it applies more to the USAAF caps that have had the wire removed, hence the crushed look. Besides that is how it was listed on the website.

It is on Emedals.
    TK looks like the late-war Assmann 3 -prong, commonly found on Altestes.
    I lean a franky, but need 360 under the hood photos to confirm.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

Quote by Aldo View Post
    Honestly I don't know. I'm just using the "collectors" vernacular for caps that have been manipulated to achieve a certain desired shape. I suppose it applies more to the USAAF caps that have had the wire removed, hence the crushed look. Besides that is how it was listed on the website.
    I see. There is a thread here: What is a Crusher anyway? which tries to explain the expression. IMHO a "crusher" is a Feldmütze alter Art (which features leather peak, soft centerband-stiffener, little to no padding and hardly ever a stiffener of the peak so that it could be folded - "crushed").

Some soldiers also tried to achieve the (obviously popular) look by "crushing" their caps, i. e. they took out the metal spring of the crown (if there was one) and deliberately dented the crown to give the cap the "been there" look. The two specimen you featured seem to be late(r) war examples which generally didn't feature the "dress cap look" of former times for lack of materials/skilled cap makers etc. etc. but they are no Feldmütze alter Art, i. e. actually no crusher caps.

I know I am repeating myself but I regret very much F.-B. is no longer here, he could have told you wether the two caps are authentic which I can't for lack of experience and knowlegde.

?

Quote by ErWeSa View Post
    I see. There is a thread here: What is a Crusher anyway? which tries to explain the expression. IMHO a "crusher" is a Feldmütze alter Art (which features leather peak, soft centerband-stiffener, little to no padding and hardly ever a stiffener of the peak so that it could be folded - "crushed").

Some soldiers also tried to achieve the (obviously popular) look by "crushing" their caps, i. e. they took out the metal spring of the crown (if there was one) and deliberately dented the crown to give the cap the "been there" look. The two specimen you featured seem to be late(r) war examples which generally didn't feature the "dress cap look" of former times for lack of materials/skilled cap makers etc. etc. but they are no Feldmütze alter Art, i. e. actually no crusher caps.

I know I am repeating myself but I regret very much F.-B. is no longer here, he could have told you wether the two caps are authentic which I can't for lack of experience and knowlegde.
    Yes, I see your point. Apparently crusher is an overused term that would not apply here. thanks for the link. I too regret F-B's absence, hopefully he will find the time to return on occasion.