Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Waffen SS NCO's Schirmmütze

Article about: Contact BenVK for his advice. If you are lucky, he may even offer to do the work himself. Let us know how it all turns out. CMH

?

Default Re: Waffen SS NCO's Schirmmütze

Contact BenVK for his advice. If you are lucky, he may even offer to do the work himself. Let us know how it all turns out.

CMH

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen SS NCO's Schirmmütze
    P
    Many

Will do! Thanks DrCMH, I'll fire him off a PM.

?

Ben has studied several aspects of the craft and understands the inner workings of these items. He is our cap guru and we are all fortunate to enjoy his presence in this forum. He once repaired a cap for a member of the "dingbat" forum that turned out nicely. The member, naturally, didn't treat Ben kindly and this may prevent him from ever offering his services again. He is always kindly offering his advice and we all profit from it. If he does find it in his heart to offer his service, treat him kindly. You have a nice cap that you have added to your collection. Good luck on its restoration and preservation.

Best Regards,

CMH

Ahh, another tale of woe from that "Other" site. It never ceases to amaze me how poorly those individuals treat fellow members. Well fear not, any assistance from Ben would not be ignored or balked at. Thanks again for the assistance and kind words CMH.

Mike

?

Thanks for the kind words of support, it's truly appreciated.

I found this photo of a Dutch cap (I'm sure that's also something to do with birth control isn't it?!) and it highlights the fact that a Totenkopf might not the accurate choice to place here as a restoration piece.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Waffen SS NCO's Schirmmütze  

Interesting find Ben! I'll have to take a closer look at mine and see if the marks left by the missing emblem match up to the flaming bomb.

For those that might not be aware of what these insignias are: the flaming grenade was worn by Landsturm Nederland. A good site covers the unit here, well worth reading:

http://www.waffen-ss.nl/lstormopr-e.php

However, these insignia are RARE. Much harder to find than a deathshead. I have seen one I was happy with in 36 years of collecting.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I found this photo of a Dutch cap (I'm sure that's also something to do with birth control isn't it?!) and it highlights the fact that a Totenkopf might not the accurate choice to place here as a restoration piece.
    Birth control - is that form of device even used any more? Great photo, Ben - isn't it funny how after so many years of chasing down the mainstream, it now has now become the obscure that excites some of us more? As for reuniting this cap with the Dutch insignia you mention, it may not be the best choice . . . at one time, it's clear a TK was once installed in that location, and if one were fortunate enough to locate the said Dutch insignia, it might leave a supsicious appearance if installed in place of a TK . . . Keep up the good work, Ben - and wishing you sunny weather!
    Attached Images Attached Images Waffen SS NCO's Schirmmütze 

?

Quote by N.C. Wyeth View Post
    isn't it funny how after so many years of chasing down the mainstream, it now has now become the obscure that excites some of us more?
    I was just thinking the same last night. Must be an allergic reaction against years of others telling us that "textbook" is the only way to collect!

You're quite correct in saying that a TK was probably attached to this cap. I really wish it were something more interesting like the flaming grenade badge (Thanks for ID'ing it Ade) which just goes to show how fed up one can become with skull trinkets that everyone bangs on about all the time.

Anyone notice how the seam of the black wool centreband is in the front? I love details like this that differ from the norm.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3