Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wehrmacht Issue Winter Rabbit Fur Cap

Article about: by Stickgrenade Hi Al, I just cant see a number 3 but that is only my opinion. Everything else has green lights Hope it is period mate Nick Thanks for your help Nick but I'll probably return

?

Default Wehrmacht Issue Winter Rabbit Fur Cap

Hello Gents, everyday is an adventure in this hobby. I just bought this winter fur cap from a reputable website. I know these are generally not that sought after but the condition & price were right. I liked this particular cap because it has clearly visible cloth insignia. Most of these caps have metal insignia which gets easily obscured by the fur or are missing the insignia. The quilted synthetic lining cast some doubt for me but I managed to convince myself that it was good. As i was examining the photo's to post on the forum I almost fell off my chair. The date stamp appears to read 1948 ! When you look at it closely though you can almost see that it is a stylized 3 that almost looks like an 8. I need more feedback from fellow collectors. All comments are welcome.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrmacht Issue Winter Rabbit Fur Cap
    P
    Many

Default Re: Wehrmacht Issue Winter Rabbit Fur Cap

It looks like 1948 to me

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    It looks like 1948 to me

Nick
    Yes it does. I tried taking different angles to show how the ends of the number 3 don't connect. If it weren't for the date stamp is there anything else that would indicate it's postwar "poser" Thanks, Al.

?

It look like a 3 to me....

Looks a 3 to me too. But I can't comment on the originality of the thing. Looks warm though

Quote by Aldo View Post
    Yes it does. I tried taking different angles to show how the ends of the number 3 don't connect. If it weren't for the date stamp is there anything else that would indicate it's postwar "poser" Thanks, Al.

Hi Al, I just cant see a number 3 but that is only my opinion. Everything else has green lights
    Hope it is period mate

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I've always been upset with how little regard German wartime factory staff gave to the potential headaches of collectors decades later. Mismatched liner pins, liners in backwards, picking a font where 3's look like 8's (or 8's look like 3's). Inconsiderate, is what it is.

Lower curl on the "3" is too high and the upper curl is too low and long as well. It's almost certainly a 1948-the "8" is simply been printed in an area of a stitched seam, which distorts it's appearance, is all. A post-war cap that's had what looks to be a wartime eagle insignia added to it. I would definitely pass on it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Lower curl on the "3" is too high and the upper curl is too low and long as well. It's almost certainly a 1948-the "8" is simply been printed in an area of a stitched seam, which distorts it's appearance, is all. A post-war cap that's had what looks to be a wartime eagle insignia added to it. I would definitely pass on it.
    I tend to agree, i'll probably return it. The stiched area where it was stamped is distorting it. It's funny how i look for every obscure abnormality to rule something out but I managed to overlook a giant 1948 stamp . go figure

?

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    I've always been upset with how little regard German wartime factory staff gave to the potential headaches of collectors decades later. Mismatched liner pins, liners in backwards, picking a font where 3's look like 8's (or 8's look like 3's). Inconsiderate, is what it is.
    My sentiments exactly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast