Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Why you buy the item, not the story

Article about: I recently meet a WWII vet on a trip. His stories were great, but that all they were, stories. He was indeed a vet. This is why you don't buy the story,

Default Re: Why you buy the item, not the story

The crusher is a Janke, and the SS looks to be an Alteste (it is indeed a fake).

I have seen situations in which I visited American WW2 veterans (not poseurs) who did have fakes among their bring-backs. The reason for this is that unscrupulous "collectors" surreptitiously swapped the real items for fakes when the vet wouldn't sell. Sad, but true.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Why you buy the item, not the story
    P
    Many

Quote by stonemint View Post
    The crusher is a Janke, and the SS looks to be an Alteste (it is indeed a fake).

I have seen situations in which I visited American WW2 veterans (not poseurs) who did have fakes among their bring-backs. The reason for this is that unscrupulous "collectors" surreptitiously swapped the real items for fakes when the vet wouldn't sell. Sad, but true.
    I truly hope this isn't the case. It's a town of 967, so it's not likely. I will kindly decline his offer, explain why, and move on to the next. Your theory has never crossed my mind. Quite sad to think its possible.

That would be the one, the member is from San Antonio, one hour away from this town.

Seems he may know this was fake, if some else has already discovered it. We spoke as I drove home, as he told me he had a ah tunic, black ss visor, waffen ss Calvary visor, and ss officer belt and buckle. All which he brought home from Germany while he was in the service. The excited I felt was indescribable. I didn't sleep that night. Imagine the disappointment I felt the next day as I opened each email. The ss buckle is a good fake; it's a 36 39, but on the back, the buckle shows the signs of a clear fake. Thanks to this forum, there was no need to ask about the hats nor the buckle. I have learned so much from you all and it has saved me quite the headache.

youthcollector--

is the seller the same John F. who posted it on the WAF?

No, the man name want John to my understanding.

OK--
    If you find out the seller is a member here, or on the WAF, let one of us moderators know.

OK--
    If you find out the seller is a member here, or on the WAF, let one of us moderators know.
    Will do.

?

This has also happened to a number of Ritterkreuztraeger whose original RK has been replaced by a fake during a " visit " !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I once saw a helmet for sale on ebay - not an unusual experience I know. But the dealer who was selling it was doing so for his 87 year old army veteran friend as a favour. The inference was that it was a veteran bring-back. The trouble was that I had disposed of the helmet at an arms fair a few weeks previous. I had sold it to a dealer as a genuine FJ shell with a replacement liner. When it appeared on ebay it became totally original. On a brighter note, I did manage to thwart his plan to sell it by placing an advert giving the true details directly below it. Where there are large sums of money to be made you will always get these scams. I have even seen old men at arms fairs in the past trying to sell fakes as stuff they had brought back from the war. Age is no barrier to this kind of scam.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast