MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.

Article about: An earlier example that I failed to buy, which was stupid of me. A cap of exceptional rarity. Thanks to our Canadian colleague for this fine item.

Hi William

welcome to the forum, I would return the cap if you have the opportunity as it is sadly not a correct example IMO.

The examples posted by Fb hopefully show the quality of the original examples.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

regards

tony

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.
    P
    Many

Well said. The first enclosure here appears made from an overcoat, i.e. the Muetzentuch is too heavy to be that for head wear.

Secondly, the cap piping is poorly done, flood or not.

Sorry to impart sad news, but when the SS is concerned and the stories associated with same are too outlandish and under water, then the results are almost always heartbreak.

I say this not out of caprice or willfulness, but out of about fifty years collecting experience.

William,

if in doubt you are more than welcome to post any potential purchases here and ask opinions..........they are given freely and honestly by people who have years of collecting experience. The aim is to stop the fakes getting into the hands of hard working honest collectors and saving them the expense of mistakes we have learnt the hard way !

cheers

Tony

I would also note the following: grey SS peaked caps randomly found in the internet and even in the real world are in 19 cases of 20 happenings nothing more than fakes. Some are well made, and many are well made to the eye of the beginner, but they are fake. Mr. Mint here has made a compendium of such items, in some cases I dissent from his view, but he has assembled dozens and dozens of such fakes. They are here for all the world to see. What you cannot see in a digital picture is the reality of the thing in hand, nor the Fingerspitzengefuehl that goes with experience. The coup d' oeil.
    The average collector has never handled a real grey SS cap, as they are quite rare. The average collector has never handled any real SS peaked cap, as they are rare in turn. I am sorry for this fact, but I cannot change this reality, and it is made more painful by the images of our collections. So near and yet so far, as it were.
    The NCO and or enlisted cap in grey is especially rare because it was created somewhat later, that is, 1937 or 1939; its wearers were obliterated in the war and so were their property; and extant examples are few and far between.
    However, fakes of same, made from army caps, are legion, troublesome, and form a steady object of inquiry and circular analysis.

These are insights that the new collector can reflect upon or ignore as one sees fit.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-01-2013 at 03:36 AM.

WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.More examples.

Tony & Freidrich , thankyou, fortunately for me I was given the cap so no expensive mistake.

Good luck with your collecting.

Quote by william63 View Post
    Tony & Freidrich , thankyou, fortunately for me I was given the cap so no expensive mistake.
    William, the first and foremost "tell" on a postwar visor is a plastic sweatdiamond (which is what the one you posted has.)
    They should be made of celluloid, which is much stiffer than plastic.
    (If you have any old 35mm negatives around the house, those are celluloid).
    The plastic is much more pliable.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Quote by stonemint View Post
    William, the first and foremost "tell" on a postwar visor is a plastic sweatdiamond (which is what the one you posted has.)
    They should be made of celluloid, which is much stiffer than plastic.
    (If you have any old 35mm negatives around the house, those are celluloid).
    The plastic is much more pliable.
    Thankyou Stonemint, I will bare that in mind.

WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.WSS Visor Cap Opinions Please.Do look closely at this item bought by Ben and then by another person here. This is authentic, and notice how it appears versus the first enclosure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast