Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Luftwaffe Schirmmütze

Article about: Hello everybody! I have a question about this luftwaffe officers cap. I'm looking to purchase his and wanted some opinions on it. I was thinking about looking at it, in person tomorrow and I

Default WWII Luftwaffe Schirmmütze

Hello everybody!

I have a question about this luftwaffe officers cap. I'm looking to purchase his and wanted some opinions on it. I was thinking about looking at it, in person tomorrow and I also wanted to know what to look for.

The thing I didn't like was how worn out the inside of the cap was compaired to the outside. The man wants $375 for the hat, which doesnt seem very high but for the condition it seems a little high to me.

"Hi

Attached are pics of the cap. I already send this to the auction house once. I use Manion's Auction in Kansas City. You can find them online. I put a reserve of $600 on it and it was not purchased. The reserve means that is the minimum starting bid.

I paid $600 for it. If I send it back to Manion's their sellers commission fee is 25% of the selling price. Plus I have to package and ship it insured. I already paid to send it once. So if I ad up everything to send it back to auction I will discount the Luftwaffe Cap to $375. That is the lowest I can sell it for cash - $375.00

I have a 3 foot long black light. You can come to my apartment and use my walk-in closet to black light it. That is a test that collectors use. Cloth material like wool and cotton and even paper made prior to WWII do not "Flouresce" under a black light. Cloth materials made after WWII have synthetic chemicals added to them, inclcuding paper which makes them glow bright white under a black light."

Sorry he sent kinda bad pictures but here is what I've seen of the hat

Thanks Colton

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWII Luftwaffe Schirmmütze
    P
    Many

?

Default re: WWII Luftwaffe Schirmmütze

It looks like it might be okay but better pictures are required for that

It stands a fair chance, but more pics needed.

Pity about the visor trim and sweatband being missing.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

From the two photos, it looks like it might be OK. Personally, I would not be too concerned about the missing visor edge trim; it's quite common. However, the missing sweatband is more of a real problem. If it's an ERel, my sense is that finding a replacement Erel sweatband is almost impossible. If it's another maker , it may look OK with a "generic" replacement sweatband, as long as it's professionally sewn.
    Then again, others may quibble about anything added that is not period added, or replaced.
    IF the cap has little mothing, and no other issues, $ 375 is a great price, IMHO. A "no questions" example will be above $1,000, easily.

BobS

?

Here are some photos of my Luftwaffe officer's cap, an Erel Privat. Outside is moth free, but the sweatband is dry and raggedy. For the price, however, I couldn't pass it up.

BobSAttachment 392438Attachment 392439

Very nice eReL cap...bravo

?

My cap photos disappeared. let's try again:Attachment 396612Attachment 396613Attachment 396614

?

Still not working