Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Berlin Memorial cigarette case

Article about: Not strictly speaking trench art or WW2 But a popular souvenir item with Soviet troops stationed in Berlin after the war. The design features the huge Soviet War Memorial which is in Treptow

Default Berlin Memorial cigarette case

Not strictly speaking trench art or WW2 But a popular souvenir item with Soviet troops stationed in Berlin after the war.

The design features the huge Soviet War Memorial which is in Treptow Park, Berlin.

This example has been well used over the years, which is what I like about it.

I have also included a pic of the real memorial from my visit there in 2005.

Some info about the design and the story behind it can be found here:

Soviet War Memorial (Treptower Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Berlin Memorial cigarette case   Berlin Memorial cigarette case  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Berlin Memorial cigarette case
    P
    Many

Zahigkeit
    ?

Default Re: Berlin Memorial cigarette case

When I lived in Berlin I used to go hang out at Treptower Park allot. It's one of my favorite Architectural spaces. I also have that Cigarette Case. Found it at a thrift store here in the USA of all places!!

It's a very powerful spot. What impressed me most was the mosaic mural inside the pedestal. The colors are amazing. It's like a Modernist Caravaggio painting - in tile!

Oh - does your case still have the original straps to hold in the cigarettes? Mine are missing.

Hi, the elastic straps had perished in mine too.

Here are a couple of pics of the mosaic and the Order of Victory set in the ceiling to remind you.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Berlin Memorial cigarette case   Berlin Memorial cigarette case  

Zahigkeit
    ?

Danke Ade!

Amazing isn't it? So 2005, had they finished the renovation of the park at that point? When I lived there in 2001 they had just started it but there were many delays.

-Mike

Hi Mike, they were putting the finishing touches to it when we were there. The last of the paving slabs were being put back.

Cheers, Ade.

Zahigkeit
    ?

Damn! Took em long enough. I bet it only took the Soviets and DDR a couple years to build it. Is it true that they used the pink granite from Hitler's Chancellery?

Yes, the story about the granite is true.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Berlin Memorial cigarette case  

i see one piece of granite for sale in internet Here the pic :
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Berlin Memorial cigarette case  
    Attached Images Attached Images Berlin Memorial cigarette case