Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

H.J. Armand w/"Signature" - Help Newbie Please

Article about: Hello to all from a first time poster, Husband acquired this armband in a box of "stuff" which contained mostly US militaria (his interest). I always get to do the research on thin

summersdogs
    ?

Default H.J. Armband w/"Signature" - Help Newbie Please

Hello to all from a first time poster,

Husband acquired this armband in a box of "stuff" which contained mostly US militaria (his interest). I always get to do the research on things of which he knows little. This is one of those. I've looked at a number of H.J. threads here, as well as from other Googled sources - enough to know that this is beyond me.

Length would be approximately 15" if not sewn; height is 4.25".
    Is the armband even "real"? Also, while I've now seen photos of a number of different "variations" (for wont of the correct term) of these armbands, I haven't seen one with the signature-appearing name on the white portion - a photo shows this. Also shown is the faded portion on the insignia area which seems to have been caused by storage/exposure to sun in the glass specimen box.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Lynne
    Attached Images Attached Images H.J. Armand w/"Signature" - Help Newbie Please  H.J. Armand w/"Signature" - Help Newbie Please  H.J. Armand w/"Signature" - Help Newbie Please  H.J. Armand w/"Signature" - Help Newbie Please  H.J. Armand w/"Signature" - Help Newbie Please  H.J. Armand w/"Signature" - Help Newbie Please 
    Last edited by summersdogs; 02-15-2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Typo correction in title !

2. # ADS

Default Re: H.J. Armand w/"Signature" - Help Newbie Please

Hi Lynne, welcome to the forum! Nice to have another lady as a member.

The armband is not a standard issue example. Sometimes these can be found as "homemade" examples from the early days of the HJ. I take it you know the signature reads "Adolf Hitler". I don't believe this is an original signature. The armband itself is not one I would buy.

The fading illustrates well the dangers of exposure to UV light and the damage which can result from poor display and storage. Light is a great enemy of old cloth.

Cheers, Ade.

summersdogs
    ?

Default Re: H.J. Armand w/"Signature" - Help Newbie Please

Many thanks to you, Adrian, for the information and for the welcome, too. This website is a wonderful resource, and I'm sure both my husband and I will put it to good use. So sorry about your comment on the "signature". I had browbeaten husband out of the notion that it read "Adolf Hitler" because, to me, it looked nothing like other Hitler siggies I Googled up. A super argument for posting my questions here first before bloviating about my opinions to him !

Cheers yall,
    Lynne