Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Help Identifying - Flak Greatcoat

Article about: Hi All, New to the form. I'd like some information on this if anyone can assist. Tks.

Default Help Identifying - Flak Greatcoat

Hi All,

New to the form. I'd like some information on this if anyone can assist. Tks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Identifying - Flak Greatcoat   Help Identifying - Flak Greatcoat  

Help Identifying - Flak Greatcoat   Help Identifying - Flak Greatcoat  

Help Identifying - Flak Greatcoat   Help Identifying - Flak Greatcoat  

Attached Images Attached Images Help Identifying - Flak Greatcoat 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help Identifying - Flak Greatcoat
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help Identifying - Flak Greatcoat

Someone has told me that this is an HJ helper coat with flak insignia, likely a HJ. Anyone that can comment is appreciated.

You are correct: this is the special HJ Flak helpers coat and should not bear this insignia.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    You are correct: this is the special HJ Flak helpers coat and should not bear this insignia.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade,

Would you recommend removing the Flak insignia? A member said the insignia could have been done very late-war if the HJ was promoted. New to collecting and would like to use this on a mannequin, so any insight is appreciated. Best, Scott.

Hey i like it, its a shame objects can't talk! Anyway if the insignia is period applied i would definitely keep them on. But even if the insignia isn't period applied i personally would still keep them attached to prevent any damage if they were to be removed.
    Thanks, Glen.

Hi Scott, personally I have not seen a HJ greatcoat with Luftwaffe insignia period applied to it.

This is how it should look in "textbook" order:

The Collector's Guild

If I had it in hand I could tell you much better if it was period applied. At the moment it is difficult to say with any great certainty, but it does not look like it was applied last week....It is always best to proceed with caution.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The coat is beautiful and definitely has the 'been there' look. As a novice collector, I'm just starting to try and learn how to detect fakes, but it sounds like this is a never ending process (unfortunately). I guess my biggest question is why would someone go out of there way to apply period Luftwaffe Flak insignia to an HJ coat, especially if it's blatantly obvious? I mean, wouldn't it just be as easy (actually easier) to apply that insignia to a flak coat? Or fake the HJ insignia and apply it? To me, that's what is not adding up here.

I will try and take some further photos later and hope this might help with figuring this out. Also, I would be greatful if you have any books you would recommend to the novice collector.

Best,
    Scott

Hi Scott, I have been at this hobby for 35 years and the learning never stops. But that is part of the fun.

I have given up trying to second guess why odd things got done!

Cheers, Ade.

I personally think that the insignia is period applied. But that's just my opinion.