Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help! Luftwaffenhelfer dress, rank(?)

Article about: Hi all. I'm also trying to get information on my grand father (rank?, branch, dress items etc). I appreciate it's difficult to say much from pictures but I'm still learning so I'm glad of an

Default Help! Luftwaffenhelfer dress, rank(?)

Hi all.

I'm also trying to get information on my grand father (rank?, branch, dress items etc).

I appreciate it's difficult to say much from pictures but I'm still learning so I'm glad of any help.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, this is what I've gathered so far. The breast eagle is that of a luftwaffenhelfer (which should be blue in colour). The district triangle looks to be Nord Niedersachsen, in white rather than gold? (I'm not sure of the significance of this)
    I think it is early or pre war? I'm not sure of any details on the cloth and shoulder boards, DJ rather than HJ?
    I'm not sure what cap he's wearing in the second pic, HJ or luftwaffer

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help! Luftwaffenhelfer dress, rank(?)
    P
    Many

Second photo looks like a standard issue LW field cap in grey wool with a white Drillich or work uniform. NH

The photos are both wartime. Neil is correct.

The HJ flak helpers were a wartime invention.

The tunic worn in the first photo is the special one worn by them.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

triangle is black/yellow (male); white is for girls/females.

No rank visible in photo two. I think we can assume that photo two shows your relative at the lowest rank of Kanonier. If he was a rank or two above you would see a chevron on the left arm. NH

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    No rank visible in photo two. I think we can assume that photo two shows your relative at the lowest rank of Kanonier. If he was a rank or two above you would see a chevron on the left arm. NH
    HJ Flak auxiliaries didn't hold soldiers' ranks, nor did they wear soldiers' rank insignia.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    HJ Flak auxiliaries didn't hold soldiers' ranks, nor did they wear soldiers' rank insignia.
    But there was a system of rank. According to the magazine "Deutsche Uniformen-Zeitschrift" from June 20, 1943 were
    described and mentioned: Dienstgradabzeichen for Mannschaftsführer one aluminum star upon both shoulder-straps;
    Luftwaffenoberhelfer a braid with a 0.5 cm width over both shoulder-straps.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    But it looks like he may have been drafted into the Luftwaffe in the second photo. It looks like a progression from Helfer to conscript into the Luftwaffe proper. I may be wrong but that is how it appears to me. Did Flak auxiliary personnel use standard LW caps? NH

Flakhelfer did anyway! The visored field cap and regular field cap, both
    with Luftwaffe insignia.

Here two from my HJ-handbook.

Help! Luftwaffenhelfer dress, rank(?)

With the second photo, an Oberhelfer, just a bit of the triangle is shown.

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    Flakhelfer did anyway! The visored field cap and regular field cap, both
    with Luftwaffe insignia.
    Sure enough. Plenty of photographic evidence out there apparently showing a mix of HJ uniforms, LW uniforms and a mix of side caps, M43 caps and steel helmets in use by Flakhelfer personnel. Just googled images and there are tons. So the second photo is still likely to be of the subject as a Flakhelfer. NH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast