Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

HJ leader tunic and its insignia

Article about: Looking good. Thanks for the update photos. Yes the straps were expensive, but try to find another set, not easy.

Default HJ leader tunic and its insignia

I recently bought a near mint uniform tunic that I identified to be a HJ leader (when I bought it, it had a pair of SA collar tabs hand-sewn on though). Pictures of the tunic will be here in a while.

I am now looking for people who perhaps already own a leader tunic, complete or incomplete and would like to post pictures of their examples.
    I am about to invest some money in nice insignia in order to restore it, so I'd like to get some ideas and inspiration.
    So if someone has a tunic, I would love to see it!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement HJ leader tunic and its insignia
    P
    Many

Default Re: HJ leader tunic and its insignia

No tunics but here's some HJ Leadership straps I own for inspiration.
    First photo is a set for an Oberbannfuhrer in gold celleon serving in the capacity of a Gebietsfuhrer.

Second photo is an early version second pattern Feldscher Hauptarzt pair and a sleeve insignia for a Dentist.

Third photo is for a Landjahr Gefolgschaftsfuhrer modified with silver piping for Bann Staff.

Last photo is a set for a Hauptgefolgschaftsfuhrer.

Good luck finding a nice set of HJ Leadership straps, look forward to seeing the completed tunic.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HJ leader tunic and its insignia   HJ leader tunic and its insignia  

HJ leader tunic and its insignia   HJ leader tunic and its insignia  

Thanks for replying so fast. These are great to look at. I was wondering if the sew-in type of shoulder boards in your last picture is flexible enough to be bend around and attached with sewn on pressure studs? I found some black thread remains on my tunic which I believe to have carried the underportion of the Prym stud one sees so often at HJ boards.
    Btw here are pictures of the HJ-Kampfbind eI recently got for a good price. It is a woven type band with machine embroidered swastika. Would that be appropriate for a leader tunic or too "cheap", i.e. is there a better quality e.g. woolen Kampfbinde with tape swastika?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HJ leader tunic and its insignia   HJ leader tunic and its insignia  

The armband looks good and would be appropriate IMO. Regarding the possiblity of folding under the straps, I don't think it would look right if you attached them that way. Better to find a set without the sew in tabs on them and attach snaps to them IMO. Not easy to do but try to match the wear of the insignia to the tunic, ie if the uniform is in great condition look for fresh looking insignia. Here's my set of Motor HJ for an Obergefolgschaftsfuhrer from Bann Kassel that are sew in style without the extra material on the bottom. A set like this could have snaps sewn to them and it would look okay I think.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HJ leader tunic and its insignia  

Aha, thanks for the tip. Excuse my ignorance but is the silver piping found on Gebietsstab tabs regardless of rank?
    I really think I need to get me a copy of Saris Handbook of the Hitlerjugend...

Some Gebietstab had silver and some had carmine piping. This was all after the regulation changes in 1938 occured. The Saris book is a good reference, with tons of photos. Here's an example of each type of Gebietstab from my collection. First is a Rottenfuhrer from Gebiet 27 Wien, second is a Scharfuhrer from Gebeit 8 Niedersachsen.

Great. I presume the silver piping is the later one? My jacket is made in Halle/Saale as is shown by it's tailor label (the RZM labels have been removed sadly). So I thought I will make it - matching to its origin - a Gebiet 15 (Mitte/Mittelland) jacket.
    I wish I could post pics of the jacket, but it might take another two weeks...

Another question, Frank: i have seen there is also a HJ-research forum. Do you think they might have pictures? Are you a member and can recommend that for

So, find now, what I have in mind for the jacket.
    I would like to get your opinion on the combination of shoulder boards and triangle.
    The shoulderboards come from Weitze, the triangle I found on Lothar hartungs site (while I am not sure, if it is still available).
    Do these pieces look legit?

Quote by wwmilitaria View Post
    Another question, Frank: i have seen there is also a HJ-research forum. Do you think they might have pictures? Are you a member and can recommend that for
    Yes I am a member there. Lots of period photos posted on that forum.

As for the insignia the straps are good ones. I was considering that set for myself when he listed them a couple of weeks ago. Wietze had another set just like it from the same source and attributed to the same person that sold already. It would be nice to find a period photo of the wearer and restore your tunic to match one of his as a representation if possible. Expensive but not so easy to find set of HJ straps.

The triangle looks okay from that picture but would want to see closer photos and the back before I spent my money.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast