MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Kreissieger 1939 – Aurich for opinions

Article about: I have a chance to buy this badge for \\$250, but I have almost made mistakes on these in the past, and know they're well faked at times. So, I was hoping to get opinions before springing for

Default Kreissieger 1939 – Aurich for opinions

UPDATE - IN HAND PHOTOS:

------------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL POST:

I have a chance to buy this badge, but I have almost made mistakes on these in the past, and know they're well faked at times. So, I was hoping to get opinions before springing for it.

Off hand, my concerns focus on the clasp. Something seems off about it that makes me think it may be a replacement, and the red enamel on the front of the badge over this area looks a tad different (which may be nothing).

Thanks in advance for your time!

Last edited by avenger; 06-05-2015 at 01:13 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kreissieger 1939 – Aurich for opinions
    P
    Many

I've requested photos from the side of the clasp. The lettering looks good to me on this where the K and R come close to touching the eagle wings. The point of the diamond doesn't extend past the gear as much as fakes tend to, and the diamond is a bit un-uniform as I'm seeing is the case on other examples of an Aurich badge, particularly where the white part of the right side is a little higher than the left. This may just be variations in the attachment of the HJ diamond though, but it does seem to be somewhat consistent on the handful of other examples I'm finding. It looks okay to me, but I would still like to make sure.

?

It looks to be an original Aurich in good condition .... no red flags that I see with it.

Thanks for the feedback Mike! I'm really leaning towards getting this one. I wasn't sure if it was all good, but if it seems it is, that's really exciting. I don't have one of these badges yet, and have admired them ever since I saw one.

Not all of these badges have the lettering so close to the wings, but this is simply be an assembly anomaly. I've seen badges that have the lettering actually Touching the eagle. The white enamel also looks abit on the "bright" side, but this is likely due from the photography lighting. All in all, I'm not seeing much to quibble over on this one. They are, as you say, difficult to locate in perfect condition enamel or finish, and even this fine one seems to be exhibiting abit of finish loss to the lettering and circle rim at 10 O'clock. Not unusual, of course.They are, oddly, more expensive than they are rare but a decent condition one is always a plus. I think the Aurich badges are better quality than the Tham's and Wagners, but that's just me. (The Gustav Brehmer's are very nice, though.)
    So....1938 next? Or the Kreissieger? Silvered?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks William. As always you shine a brilliant light on my concerns sir. It sounds like I might have landed on a fairly good one this time.

Truth be told, after this one I have no plans to collect the others at this time. The expense, of course, gets more prohibitive with some of the other finishes, years, and districts. I've admired this badge design more than anything else about them, and I expect to feel rather satisfied to have a nice example in my collection to refer to. While trying to find examples to compare this to, I did find one that looks nearly mint on the Johnson Reference and Militaria site. I feel odd to admit it, but on these badges I kind of like the darker aged finish of most of them you tend to see over the original gilted look of that particular "minty" one. I guess we all have those things we find attractive.

Hi Scott,
    Since Matt has told you on WAF that it is a good one, I would take his word on it. I do know that he is a serious collector of Gau badges.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Ralph, thanks for letting me know. I don't often post over at WAF, mostly because I know you guys far better and feel like this forum is more like "home" for me. So, I don't know the folks over there well enough to know their specialties yet. It's good to know Matt knows his stuff on these.

The seller encouraged me to post it there for those guys to look at to be sure on the clasp. He's been a super nice guy thus far, and I've had good confirmation from folks here and over at WAF, so I think I'm going to take him up on the deal we've worked out on the badge. I'm really looking forward to seeing it, as of all HJ badges I like this one the most.

I've enjoyed a few hobbies over the years, but this one has by far engaged me with the best people, and I sincerely thank you guys for all the help you've given me.

Seller sent some photos of the clasp. I believe this is correct.

More photos:

Last edited by avenger; 05-21-2015 at 11:08 PM.

Made a deal with the seller I thought was very favorable. The badge arrived today. In hand photos added to first post.