Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

1957 Deutsches Kreuz in Silber

Article about: Somewhat unsurprsingly, last year's purchase of a 1957-version Deutsches Kreuz in Gold grouping (see: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/bundes...ouping-186863/ ) led to an increasing wish to own

Default 1957 Deutsches Kreuz in Silber

Somewhat unsurprsingly, last year's purchase of a 1957-version Deutsches Kreuz in Gold grouping (see: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/bunde...ouping-186863/ ) led to an increasing wish to own the silver one as well.

As with the original version of the award, the 1957er Deutsches Kreuz in Silber is much rarer than the gold one, and nice, early ones in particular don't show up all that often, but now I have found myself one with which I am quite happy:

Featuring an open hingeblock, this is not one of the very earliest specimens, but still of relatively early manufacture and good quality:
    The silver-plated central pieces have now tarnished with age; the upper part of the starburst is nicely blackened with a metallic shimmer (whereas very late pieces often feature a dull-grey paint job here) and the red circle is enamelled in an intense, bright red (as opposed to painted in an often raspberry-red hue on the very late ones).

Finally, for comparison, here are the gold and silver crosses together:

As always, comments are welcome.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1957 Deutsches Kreuz in Silber
    P
    Many

Default Re: 1957 Deutsches Kreuz in Silber

They look great together Andreas! You're right about the quality, the difference is there to see. The sunburst appears to have been properly gun blued and you don't see that on later crosses. It looks like the base maybe cupal, what do you think?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    It looks like the base maybe cupal, what do you think?
    I must admit I don't know... Weight is 71 grams; the gold one weighs in at 66 grams.

?

Andreas two excellent awards there..I'm after buying them myself..1 day ...Thanks for showing.. Cheers Terry.

Sorry Andreas from the pictures shown, its clearly a fake DKiS. At the time of the open hinge block made pieces (1968 on) only St u L were left in the manufacture of 57er awards, this piece does not correspond to known St u L DKiS examples, rivets, hinge, pin and shiny finish on the back of the award, IMO a cast piece with soft edges...as Ned observes, later crosses were not as good as earlier closed hinge earlier pieces, but not as bad as this....This example is found on E Bay quite often, made to deceive. Hope you can get your money back. I show my late example Deutsche Kreuz in Gold..... please compare.....
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1957 Deutsches Kreuz in Silber   1957 Deutsches Kreuz in Silber  

Quote by oradour View Post
    Sorry Andreas from the pictures shown, its clearly a fake DKiS. At the time of the open hinge block made pieces (1968 on) only St u L were left in the manufacture of 57er awards, this piece does not correspond to known St u L DKiS examples, rivets, hinge, pin and shiny finish on the back of the award, IMO a cast piece with soft edges...as Ned observes, later crosses were not as good as earlier closed hinge earlier pieces, but not as bad as this....This example is found on E Bay quite often, made to deceive. Hope you can get your money back. I show my late example Deutsche Kreuz in Gold.
    Oh, blast! I had honestly liked this one and I must say that quality-wise, it certainly appeared much better than quite a few others I had looked at over the months... Guess I should have waited a little longer. Thanks for letting me know, though.
    As it was not too expensive, I think I will still keep it for display purposes.

?

Sorry to hear that Andreas that was a good looking cross ..Thanks Steve for the heads up..I would have been clueless myself to this!!!...something learnt here....Cheers Terry.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Oh, blast! I had honestly liked this one and I must say that quality-wise, it certainly appeared much better than quite a few others I had looked at over the months... Guess I should have waited a little longer. Thanks for letting me know, though.
    As it was not too expensive, I think I will still keep it for display purposes.
    Sorry for the bad news Andreas, when I saw it a couple of days ago, I was suspicious about its finish and construction, I had an advanced collector friend who has a far greater knowledge on the Deutsche Kreuz in Gold/Silver look at it, he confirmed my suspicions......there's a lot of fake 57er's out there now !
    Beware ! Steve.

I have to admit, the longer I look at the piece, the more little things I notice that I don't like... Ah, well, I guess I wanted it to be good so badly that I focused too much on its seemingly positive aspects while ignoring the negative ones.

In the end, I can't complain, though. After all, the few other 1957 pieces I have posted so far have all passed muster and I guess it was inevitable I would eventually go wrong.

For now, I will use it as a "place holder" displayed next to the Deutsches Kreuz in Gold until (hopefully) I find a good, early one someday. Also, it's a visible reminder of a lesson, and I guess that is valuable, too.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 04-27-2013 at 08:22 PM.