Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

1957 Ritterkreuz with Oak Leaves

Article about: Hi Guys, I'm not sure this badge fits this forum so if the moderator would be so kind please redirect if its out of place. Anyway, this is both my first Ritterkreuz and my first 57 badge. I

Default 1957 Ritterkreuz with Oak Leaves

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure this badge fits this forum so if the moderator would be so kind please redirect if its out of place.

Anyway, this is both my first Ritterkreuz and my first 57 badge. I would like some opinions on the authenticity of the Cross, Oak Leaves, Ribbon and Case. The little bit of reference material I have that covers 57 badges and what I was able to find searching the net tells me that this cross, if good, would have been produced somewhere in the 70's, however, I have also read that the 800 mark on the lower revers of the frame is found on early productions crosses. I found conflicting information on nonmagnetic core production times, which as you can see mine has some worn paint revealing a non-ferrous copper base alloy.

Any help and additional information would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has any good reference material regarding 57' Ritterkreuz's I would like to hear about it.

As always thanks very much for looking!!

1957 Ritterkreuz with Oak Leaves1957 Ritterkreuz with Oak Leaves1957 Ritterkreuz with Oak Leaves1957 Ritterkreuz with Oak Leaves1957 Ritterkreuz with Oak Leaves
    Last edited by Element7; 03-25-2015 at 01:28 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1957 Ritterkreuz with Oak Leaves
    P
    Many

A few more pictures.

1957 Ritterkreuz with Oak Leaves1957 Ritterkreuz with Oak Leaves

I realize this might not have been the most appropriate place to put the cross but I could not resist.

Hi Kirby, thanks for posting ! I have redirected to the Bundeswehr forum where 1957 regulations are shown and discussed, welcome to this part of the forum !
    Can you tell me if the cross is 1) Three piece construction ? 2) Is the core magnetic or non magnetic ?
    It looks at this time to be a "D" frame modern type RK from St u L made between the late 1970's and the early 2000's......it is heavily aged in my opinion......but beware these crosses are being reproduced, but I see acorn cup details on the core oakleaf spray and a partially drilled out suspension ring eye, which are good signs !
    You are correct regarding the Oakleaves they are reproduction, but hey they do the job !.........and the ribbon is modern made.
    Prost ! Steve.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for putting the thread in the right place.

If just the cross is good I will be very pleased even if it was artificially aged.

To answer your question, the cross is of three piece construction and the core is non-magnetic.

I will add that I have very little $$ in the set and it has opened my eyes to another aspect of collecting so IMO it was well worth the investment. I will be honest, before purchasing the cross I turned my nose up at 57 badges and that was a mistake. I'm already on the hunt for a nice early production RK but I'm quickly learning its much easier to find a TR cross.

Thanks for looking and taking time to share some information. I look forward to learning's more about 57 badges and I will be sure to share any future purchases

Element7
    Last edited by Element7; 03-25-2015 at 01:28 AM.

The early 57s are out there Kirby, but you are correct in that they are hard to find. I spent probably 6 months looking for my own early 57 example and only located one after approaching a member from the WAF who happened to merely mention in a thread that he was thinking of selling off part of his collection.

1957 Ritterkreuz with Oak Leaves 1957 Ritterkreuz with Oak Leaves

Kirby, my opinion is that it is a heavily artificially aged "D" frame RK by St u L, a legitimate Knights Cross ! its core IMO has been repainted giving that uneven cast look, but if three piece construction it can not be a full cast fake.
    Prost ! Steve.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the input on my cross, I'm glade its not a total flop! So now my quest begins to find a better example.

Hi Glenn,

I like your cross, its a great looking piece! They look really good grouped together in your display case.

I have a few more question for you guys.

What would be a reasonable price for an early production 57' Ritterkreuz with a length of ribbon and with or without a case?

Also, I see a lot 57' badges on eBay especially Deutsches Kreuz's. Are these commonly faked like everything else in this hobby? Seems like they are too plentiful.

Last one, has any decent reference material been written specifically on the 57 badges?

Thanks for the help guys!
    Last edited by Element7; 03-25-2015 at 01:29 AM.

These are fun to buy! Steve is a good guy who won't stear you wrong. He has helped me immensely with my three crosses. Good luck hunting

Here are a few good crosses to give you an idea of early quality.

Quote by Element7 View Post

What would be a reasonable price for an early production 57' Ritterkreuz with a length of ribbon and with or without a case?
    Hard to say as I don't keep track of current prices but as a general rule you probably won't get much change out of $1000 for a non-cased example. Naturally prices will drop as you get into the 2nd core and later frame examples.

Todd, Nice Cross Collection and thanks for the photos!

Glenn, You have confirmed pretty much what little I found searching the web. I know $$ is not as simple as giving a number but I wanted to here what other collectors have been finding and/or paying.

Thanks again for the help guys!

Element7
    Last edited by Element7; 03-25-2015 at 01:29 AM.