Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

1957er Fliegererinnerungsabzeichen

Article about: Here is my latest acquistion, a 1957er Fliegererinnerungsabzeichen [Aviators' Commemorative Badge]. This is probably the rarest of the flight badges, both in the WW2- and the 1957 issues. Fi

Default 1957er Fliegererinnerungsabzeichen

Here is my latest acquistion, a 1957er Fliegererinnerungsabzeichen [Aviators' Commemorative Badge]. This is probably the rarest of the flight badges, both in the WW2- and the 1957 issues.

First, a little background history:

The Luftwaffe's flight badges for pilots, glider pilots, observers, air gunners/radio operators and paratroopers were both qualification- and trade badges and thus only authorized for wear as long as the person holding them was still on actual flight status. If a Luftwaffe member holding a flight badge was no longer on flight status due to being retired, discharged or re-assigned to a ground crew role, the badge could no longer be worn.

To compensate for this, the Fliegererinnerungsabzeichen was instituted by Göring on 26 March 1936. The badge could be awarded to Luftwaffe members who ceased to be on flight status under honorable conditions and had held any one of the flight badges for several years. (The minimum time was set at 4 years for active-duty personnel, 4 years for reserve personnel who had served in military aviation in WW1 and had held a WW1-era flight badge and 15 years for all other personnel. In exceptional cases - such as a medical discharge due to injuries suffered in an aircraft accident - the badge could be awarded prior to completion of these periods.)

By an order of 12 January 1944, further awards of the badge were cancelled for the duration of the war, with the regular aviation badges now authorized for continued wear even after departure from active flight status. Those who had already been awarded a Fliegererinnerungsabzeichen after the outbreak of war had the option of returning it in exchange of their original kind of flight badge.

Here's the badge now. It's an early piece in nice quality:

As always, all comments are welcome.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1957er Fliegererinnerungsabzeichen
    P
    Many

?

Thank you for share knowledge and fine piece.
    Is there a box with it ?

Quote by remss View Post
    Thank you for share knowledge and fine piece.
    Is there a box with it ?
    No; I only have the badge.

A nice example by Steinhauer & Luck, well done.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

An excellent and informative thread as usual, very nice new acquisition my friend!

Regards,
    Nick

A very nice piece and I believe that the 1944 regulation ammendment made the (early production) '57 version almost as rare as the TR badge

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."