Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

1957er Kriegsabzeichen für die Marineartillerie

Article about: Another recent addition to my slowly-growing family of Kriegsmarine badges, here is a 1957er Kriegsabzeichen für die Marineartillerie [War Badge for the Naval Artillery]. Instituted on 24 Ju

Default 1957er Kriegsabzeichen für die Marineartillerie

Another recent addition to my slowly-growing family of Kriegsmarine badges, here is a 1957er Kriegsabzeichen für die Marineartillerie [War Badge for the Naval Artillery].

Instituted on 24 June 1941 and designed by the artist Otto Placzek (whose original design was obviously changed for the 57er version by eliminating the Wehrmacht eagle on top), the Kriegsabzeichen für die Marineartillerie was created in recognition of the naval artillery's important and successful efforts in the defense against enamy aircraft.

The badge could be awarded to whole units as well as to individual seamen, male and female naval auxiliaries and Flakwehr personnel. In order to qualify for the badge, a total of 8 "points" had to be reached for which certain criteria were set. (For example, destruction of an enemy plane by an individual battery was worth 2 points; if several batteries participated in the kill, each was credited 1 point. Succesful employment of a searchlight battery creating the necessary conditions for the German anti-aircraft artillery or nightfighters to destroy enemy aircraft was worth 1/2 point etc.)

The badge could also be awarded for exceptional performance in combat, for leadership achievements by officers in duty positions of detachment commander or above if they had fought among their troops or had decisively influenced their combat actions and posthumously to men who had met or nearly met these conditions and died from wounds, injuries or illnesses incurred in the the line of duty.

Here's the badge now:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1957er Kriegsabzeichen für die Marineartillerie
    P
    Many

Nice badge Andreas

I too have a '57 section as well as a few BW helmets which as with imperial badges and helmets (in particular) because together with the similar TR items they are part of the historical lineage. This I feel makes sense to anyone who is interested in the military aspect (of which the TR period is naturally a part) rather than any particular political period.

The issue of the '57 badges is I feel a good example of the military recognising the experience in profession of the men themselves in the face of political correctness which tries to ignore the fact that there is no real substitute for experience.

That is in no way a political comment rather an attempt to support the corageous recognition of the men who had actually done the job rather than learned about it in a training class! I doubt any BW soldier in those dark days would disagree that these men represented a "motherlode" of knowledge, skill and talent (which is exactly why they were recruited)

Here is another like yours for comparison;

Regards

Mark

Edit; D'oh! Senior moment! I included the wrong reverse image initially (Zerstorer) , thanks Anreas for pointing that out and have added the correct one but can't get rid of the other one (it doesn't show in the edit field!!) so please ignore it!

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1957er Kriegsabzeichen für die Marineartillerie   1957er Kriegsabzeichen für die Marineartillerie  

Last edited by Watchdog; 06-09-2017 at 06:59 PM. Reason: incorrect image
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."