Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

1957er Seekampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe

Article about: Here is the most recent addition to my collection, a 1957er Seekampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe [Sea Combat Badge of the Luftwaffe]. Authorized by Göring on 27 November 1944, this was the last w

Default 1957er Seekampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe

Here is the most recent addition to my collection, a 1957er Seekampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe [Sea Combat Badge of the Luftwaffe].

Authorized by Göring on 27 November 1944, this was the last war badge of the Luftwaffe. The badge was instituted "so as to create a visible sign of recognition for members of the Luftwaffe's maritime personnel in honor of their proving themselves in action as crews of sea-rescue craft, air traffic control-, supply- and other special vessels and in the light of the fact that they are exposed to the constant threat from enemy air- and naval forces as well to additional perils when operating in mine-infested waters and in the struggle against the elements while carrying out their difficult mission."

The badge could be awarded to all crewmembers - airmen, military officials and civilian personel - of Luftwaffe ships and boats who had served a specified time of sea days on these vessels, the exact number of days required depending on the type of vessel/operation and the operational area. Alternatively, the badge could be awarded prior to racking up the required number of days in special cases where the recipient had displayed a particular level of endurance, courage and bravery during an individual mission, had played a special role in saving his heavily damaged vessel or had particularly distinguished himself in rescue attempts etc. when his vessel was sunk. The badge could not be awarded if a Kriegsmarine war badge had already been awarded for the same mission. Awards were only to be made individually, not to entire crews.

While the badge was officially instituted, it is not known whether it was actually awarded prior to the end of the war.

The 1957er version eliminated the Swastika originally held in the eagle's claws.

Here's the badge now. This is a later piece, which I don't mind as this is a rare badge that doesn't come up for sale too often in any version:

As always, all comments are welcome.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1957er Seekampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe
    P
    Many

Very nice, not seen one of those before

Very nice Andrea!
    Do you know the who maker of this example is?
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Do you know the who maker of this example is?
    Unless I am very much mistaken, that would be Steinhauer & Lück.

Great badge. I've never seen one either. I love that the tradition was continued.