Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1957er U-Boot-Kriegsabzeichen

Article about: Just in is my most recent acquisition, the 1957er version of the U-Boot-Kriegsabzeichen 1939 [U Boat War Badge of 1939]. Instituted on 13 October 1939 by the Oberbefehlshaber der Kriegsmarin

Default 1957er U-Boot-Kriegsabzeichen

Just in is my most recent acquisition, the 1957er version of the U-Boot-Kriegsabzeichen 1939 [U Boat War Badge of 1939].

Instituted on 13 October 1939 by the Oberbefehlshaber der Kriegsmarine [Commander in Chief of the Navy], the badge could be awarded to all crew members (commissioned officers, petty officers and men) of U-Boats operating in action against the enemy. Recipients had to have proven themselves during at least two combat patrols, although an award after the first mission was possible if the recipient was wounded in action. Awards were made on behalf of the Befehlshaber der Unterseeboote [Commander of the U-Boat Arm].

As with all other 1957 versions of Kriegsmarine war badges, the Eagle-and-Swastika was eliminated from the badge.

Here it is now. It's an early Steinhauer & Lück badge of nice quality with polished details (althogh these don't come out well in the photographs):

As always, comments are welcome.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1957er U-Boot-Kriegsabzeichen
    P
    Many

Having just read Iron Coffins by Herbert Werner, it amazes me how any U-boat crews survived 2 patrols. From '42 onwards the allies had a devastating array of weapons at their disposal and you needed a lot of cunning, guile and luck to survive.

A fine badge BTW, thanks for posting.

Nick

Wonderful badge. Condition is absolutely stunning. Although they are not desirable as ww2 variants I really like these 1957 versions of combat badges as well and early produced examples are very nice and well made pieces.

Best regards,
    Franko

MAP
    ?

Great pickup! I keep saying I need to start adding these to my collection. One day....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very nice addition Andreas! You are fortunate to have found some really nice 57er awards! Thanks for sharing them! I have been keeping my eyes open for them here, but I am not seeing them. Thanks to you though, I see these can be really attractive in a display!

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    Having just read Iron Coffins by Herbert Werner, it amazes me how any U-boat crews survived 2 patrols. From '42 onwards the allies had a devastating array of weapons at their disposal and you needed a lot of cunning, guile and luck to survive.

A fine badge BTW, thanks for posting.

Nick
    I read that book in my youth. A great read!