Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

1968 West German Hat

Article about: Hi, I recently acquired a German hat, these pictures should help but all i found on the internet is that it's supposedly a "Post-War German Infantry Hat" not an officer nothing tha

koolman101
    ?

Default 1968 West German Hat

Hi, I recently acquired a German hat, these pictures should help but all i found on the internet is that it's supposedly a "Post-War German Infantry Hat" not an officer nothing that important but i think there is more to it. It is a blueish, grayish hat with gold trimmings and a black "belt" above the brow. on the front has 2 gold olive branches or some other branches or leaves going up in a "U" with two gold crossed swords in front of it. Above that is a white circle with a red circle and a black dot in the center. Inside the hat has a small insignia of 4 pillars with cone tops inside 3 circles with the words "LANDGRAF" under it. Bamberger is under that and Mützen-Industrie is under that and "US I 2d /01/15635/0040/7" is under that and IX/1968 is under that and 8405-12-137-7120 is under that and under all of that is the numbers 60. i have no clue what any of this means, if you can please help me. thanks alot.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1968 West German Hat   1968 West German Hat  

1968 West German Hat   1968 West German Hat  

2. # ADS

Default Re: 1968 West German Hat

koolman101.....it is indeed post war, enlisted mans peaked cap Bundeswehr with crossed sabres signify Army, the yellow piping for ''Fernmelde-Truppe'' (Signal Corps). the numbers ''US I 2d /01/15635/0040/7" are contract numbers, and ''IX/1968'' the manufacture date, September 1968, the rest of the writing ''Bamburger etc etc '' and the piller logo are the manufacterers details, 60 is the size. This style of cap worn between mid 60's to 1981.
    Last edited by oradour; 07-19-2010 at 08:08 PM.

The cap in question is an armored recce cap (Panzerspaehtruppen), in fact, not signals. The golden yellow was and is used by cavalry units in the Bw, that is, reconnaissance ground troops, which in the cold war (i.e. in 1968) had a not dissimilar table of organization and equipment to such a unit in the US Army Europe. This style of cap was introduced in the early 1960s in a darker grey than the Bw tunic to more or less match the slate grey slacks worn at the time.

The Panzerspaehtruppe maintains the lineage and honors (informally) of mounted regiments of the older armies, but without any formal link to the Wehrmacht, of course.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    (Panzerspaehtruppen), golden yellow was and is used by cavalry units in the Bw, that is, reconnaissance ground troops .
    Hmmm interesting..I suppose its how one interprets the colour, I personally thought it too bright a yellow to be reconnaissance, but on reflection that could be the flash of the camera.....I really must get some new glasses !