Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

57er awards and the DDR...........

Article about: Gentlemen, I have just read that the wearing of Nazi era decorations in any form (including 1957 designed awards) continued to be banned in the German Democratic Republic (DDR) until German

Default 57er awards and the DDR...........

Gentlemen, I have just read that the wearing of Nazi era decorations in any form (including 1957 designed awards) continued to be banned in the German Democratic Republic (DDR) until German reunification in 1990. This is some thing I have not taken into consideration when evaluating very late 57 awards, that most collectors consider as rubbish/crap........due to there "bling" appearance and bad quality and construction and especially for there non association with veterans, being lauded as "for collectors" only.......the above information brings to me a new insight into these very late awards, surely former East German veterans of the Wehrmacht would want to own hard won awards now that is was legal for them to do so, so perhaps an amount of later awards, especially high end awards such as the RK and DKiG were bought by veterans after all ! Your thoughts on this topic appreciated.......................is this modern RK misunderstood by collectors ?
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 57er awards and the DDR...........  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 57er awards and the DDR...........
    P
    Many

Default Re: 57er awards and the DDR...........

With 41 years of communism drilled into them, I don't think they payed much attention to 57er awards. It's always possible of course.

Were/are there any RK wearers, former DDR, in the OdR? Maybe Paul E knows this?

Regards,
    Nick

I speculate that we're talking about a rather small group, after years of Communism and the passing of time...
    I have former WH soldiers in my own family and have met many, many others throughout the years, but not one of them was even remotely interested in awards...past or present. My grandfather gave away his EKI....
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    My grandfather gave away his EKI....cheers, Glenn
    Hopefully to you ! ...............Joking aside, thanks for your replies one and all It was just something I was hoping to explore in more detail.
    Prost ! Steve.

interesting idea Steve,but how can we find out.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    interesting idea Steve,but how can we find out.
    Difficult Harry....I think we have our answer in posts 2 & 3, I just wanted explore the question, I have no ex DDR friends only former West German ones.....so I did not know how the East German vets felt about this subject, oh well, back to the collector theory re these late badges....................
    Prost ! Steve.

images of a typical 1990's RK such a veteran from the East would of bought to wear at an OdR event, two sub sections were formed upon reunification to accommodate former DDR citizen veterans............A St u L "D" frame silver marked "800" non magnetic second core......with matching late box and ribbon.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 57er awards and the DDR...........   57er awards and the DDR...........  

57er awards and the DDR...........   57er awards and the DDR...........  

57er awards and the DDR...........   57er awards and the DDR...........  

57er awards and the DDR...........