Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

57er Nachless of RKT E. Pohl, a Stalingrad survivor.

Article about: Gents, I have had this set for the last couple of months, having won it on E-Bay Germany, his photo album was also offered, but I lost out on that..... This is the 1957 nachless (set) of Maj

Default 57er Nachless of RKT E. Pohl, a Stalingrad survivor.

Gents, I have had this set for the last couple of months, having won it on E-Bay Germany, his photo album was also offered, but I lost out on that.....
    This is the 1957 nachless (set) of Major Eberhard Pohl, a Stalingrad survivor who won his RK on hill 124.5, on the Northern edge of the Kessel, 17th December 1942, Pohl was commander of the first battalion, Infantry Regt 134 "Hoch und Deutschmeister", part of 44th Inf Div. Pohl was wounded and captured on the 29th January 1943, two days before the surrender of the 6th Army by Paulus. He then spent eleven years in Russian captivity, first as a POW and then as it happened to most Officers as an war criminal on trumped up charges of war crimes against Russia. He was released in 1954, and returned home to Germany, where in 1955 he joined the BW Army rising to the rank of Oberstleutnant before retiring in 1965. He died 16th April 1997 at Ottobrunn in Bavaria.
    The set I won set comprises of the following....His mini chain "Frackkettchen", BW ribbon bars x 4, RK button hole device and Stalingrad commemorative lapel badge.
    His chain and ribbon bars show the following awards....RK, Deutsche Kreuz in Gold EK I, EK II, Silver wound badge, Infanterie Sturmabzeichen,Ost medal, 4 yr Service medal, Sports badge in Gold and finally the Hungarian Knights cross of merit. The button hole device is for the RK, a rather nice little miniature indeed, in great condition. I show a photograph of Pohl wearing the very same ribbon bars on his BW tunic. It would appear that he did not purchase full sized 1957 replacement awards,
    All of Pohl's awards both TR and the 57er set plus his photo album were auctioned off in early September this year and then sadly broken up....and scattered to the four winds !
    Strangely enough his RK was not amongst that set, its whereabouts to me unknown at this time.
    Eberhard Pohl was born November 23rd 1908 in Sagen, Niederschlesien (now called Zagen in Poland), joining the Bremen Shutze Polizie as an Officer cadet 5th February 1928, later becoming as a Wehrmacht Leutnant, an adjutant in Inf Regt 65....then after the Anschluss on the 1st June 1938 became a company commander in the Austrian Inf Regt 13, garrisoned in Hainberg...this regiment latter became part of the famous Infantry Regt 134 "Hoch und Deutschmeister" garrisoned in Wein (Vienna), and he became commander of the 1st Battalion of that Regiment, taking part in the Polish, French and Russian campaigns culminating in his participation in the battle for Stalingrad, where, as we all know the 6th Army was destroyed.....It was during the Russian campaign the he won his Deutsche Kreuz in Gold on the 2nd April 1942.
    During my research, I was able to add to the collection a piece of personal correspondance from Pohl to an American "fan" in which he gives a synopsis of his career adding that he had his RK with him in captivity up to the 9th November 1945, when he, and I quote "broke it up" and sent it with a returning soldier to Germany when later in 1954 he was reunited with it !
    He also mentions that the colour portrait was done when in hospital in Kharkov early 42' and that he later painted on the RK !
    More information on the 44 ID can be found here 44.Infanteriedivision and here Unit Histories-44.Infanterie-Division | INSTAHLGEWITTERN
    whilst more information on the 134th Inf Regt "Hoch und Deutschmeister" can be found here Hoch un Deutschmeister: History
    With thanks to Ritterkreuztrger - Die Trger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 - 1945 for the images of Pohl in BW uniform.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 57er Nachless of RKT E. Pohl, a Stalingrad survivor.   57er Nachless of RKT E. Pohl, a Stalingrad survivor.  

57er Nachless of RKT E. Pohl, a Stalingrad survivor.   57er Nachless of RKT E. Pohl, a Stalingrad survivor.  

57er Nachless of RKT E. Pohl, a Stalingrad survivor.   57er Nachless of RKT E. Pohl, a Stalingrad survivor.  

Attached Images Attached Images 57er Nachless of RKT E. Pohl, a Stalingrad survivor.  57er Nachless of RKT E. Pohl, a Stalingrad survivor. 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 57er Nachless of RKT E. Pohl, a Stalingrad survivor.
    P
    Many

more images............
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 57er Nachless of RKT E. Pohl, a Stalingrad survivor.   57er Nachless of RKT E. Pohl, a Stalingrad survivor.  

Here is the box the mini chain came in......I am not sure if original to the chain set as it is a little small, I have a hunch it originally contained the ribbon bars, as I have seen similar ribbon bar cased sets......sold by "Urenhaus di Centa" of Stuttgart, this Jeweller is still in business at that location...
    Prost ! Steve.

This is really great stuff steve from a survivor of Stalingrad,what a find and thanks for sharing this incredible informal knowledge about one individuals personal life.........

Images of Pohl receiving his RK from 44 I.D. commander General Duboi inside the Stalingrad kessel.....
    I do not own these images as they are part of the album which I did not win, so I am at this moment unable to credit, apologies to the new owner.
    Prost ! Steve.

great item Steve.

Evidence that Pohl was in the OdR.