Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

57er Rettungsmedaille für Rettung aus Gefahr medal

Article about: Gentlemen, a recent acquisition a 1957 "Rettungsmedaille für Rettung aus Gefahr" or Lifesaving medal....originally a Prussian award, that continued through Imperial, Weimar, Third

Default 57er Rettungsmedaille für Rettung aus Gefahr medal

Gentlemen, a recent acquisition a 1957 "Rettungsmedaille für Rettung aus Gefahr" or Lifesaving medal....originally a Prussian award, that continued through Imperial, Weimar, Third Reich and on into the present day. Most of the German states issued their own medals. First awarded 1833-1918 in Imperial form then 1926-37 with eagle/no swastika then 1937-1945 with swastika, becoming a Reich issue award replacing all States versions, in the TR period the eagle would of had a swastika on its chest, in order to to comply with 1957 regulations the swastika was removed and the medal became as I show here.........
    There were two types of this award, non portable table medal and a medal/ribbon for wearing, the non portable was for "trying to save a life" and the ribboned medal for "actually saving a life"....
    The ribboned award I show is quite puny ! weighing in at 8 grams and just under an inch across ! (25mm) when I opened the packet I thought I had been diddled and that the seller had sold me a miniature, until I did my research !
    I show the medal with a 57er EK I for size comparison......
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 57er Rettungsmedaille für Rettung aus Gefahr medal   57er Rettungsmedaille für Rettung aus Gefahr medal  

57er Rettungsmedaille für Rettung aus Gefahr medal   57er Rettungsmedaille für Rettung aus Gefahr medal  

57er Rettungsmedaille für Rettung aus Gefahr medal  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 57er Rettungsmedaille für Rettung aus Gefahr medal
    P
    Many

Quote by oradour View Post
    There were two types of this award, non portable table medal and a medal/ribbon for wearing, the non portable was for "trying to save a life" and the ribboned medal for "actually saving a life"....
    Sorry, Steve, but that is not correct.

Both were awarded for saving a life at the risk of one's own life. The difference was that the wearable medal required a most particularly severe risk to the rescuer's life, (ganz besonders erhebliche eigene Lebensgefahr) whereas the non-wearable commemorative medal required a "simply" severe risk (erhebliche Lebensgefahr).

Thanks for correcting me Andreas, I had difficulty in deciphering the text on the criteria of this medal ! Always keen to learn..............
    Prost ! Steve.

I've never seen one before, nice looking award and thanks for sharing!...

Here you are Gunny the Third Reich version.............they are, apparently, equivalent to the EK II !
    Mine is an early non silver tombak based St u L made award.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 57er Rettungsmedaille für Rettung aus Gefahr medal  

A nice award Steve.

Regards