Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Austrian Cap....reshoot

Article about: Finally got this cap and took some better photos (though a couple came out blurry, sorry)

I have been around the Austrian Army for about twenty years, and never seen such a cap in use.

Slama is the Vienna cap maker, and that is a Slama logo, to be sure.

Very interesting.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Austrian Cap....reshoot
    P
    Many

The camo it's self is a little odd too, i's pretty close to Finnish M62!.....

?

As Gunny correctly points out, the cap is not US woodland -- the black colorway is not present. While this is clearly a Slama cap, the presence of the 'made in Austria' tag makes me wonder if this is a commercial/export item?

?

Okay, did some eBay searching. Found this Slama-marked cap also with the same 'made in Austria' tag but this one is made with a repro printed HBT fabric of the M57 pea pattern camo. It's now pretty obvious that these are being made for the commercial market. Slama did not make a contract M57 cap.

Vintage RARE Marie Slama and Sohn Camoflauge WWII German Military Hat No Reserve | eBay

Austrian Cap....reshootAustrian Cap....reshoot
    Last edited by FtrPlt; 08-02-2015 at 11:35 PM.

Quote by FtrPlt View Post
    Okay, did some eBay searching. Found this cap with the same 'made in Austria' tag but the cap is in the early M57 camo. I'm guessing these are made for the commercial market.

Vintage RARE Marie Slama and Sohn Camoflauge WWII German Military Hat No Reserve | eBay
    "Up for bid is a very rare, WWII, Marie Slama and Sohn German Military, Camouflage hat."
    typical ebay con artist!....

?

I've found a couple of others on various European eBay sites -- all with the same 'made in Austria' tag, same cap pattern (functional sideflaps), but a variety of different fabrics.
    Last edited by FtrPlt; 08-02-2015 at 01:58 PM.

Hmm very interesting !!! mind I wouldn't mind picking up one like that in Austrian K4 camo!!! But not at the high price that seller would undoubtedly have had for the reserve on a "rare WW II German one!!!"Lol Also if commercial I would expect to see a lot more of these offered around???...unless this is just the begining of an invasion of similar caps!!???. I will be even more interested to see what reply i get from Slama themselves now!!

?

I can pretty much state with 100% certainty that the one in M57 camo is not a period produced cap.

As for that camo cap, the seller initialy had it listed for starting bid $125. It was later listed with a starting bid of $9.99 and it had no bidders. I'm sure you could enquire of the seller and get it for a fairly cheap price -- just be aware that it's commercial copy and not an issue piece.

Ok I might try that!!! ... as for a reasonable price its still a nice curio!!! !! plus the "DRY CLEAN ONLY" tag in the back of the one you showed kinda gives the game away!!!! you would think that as he went to the time and trouble of removing the size label (as the size 53-60 odd could be mistaken for a date... and clearly not WW II!!!!) he would have also removed the dry cleaning tag!! mine has no dry cleaning label or any signs that one existed... (could have been removed I suppose!!)

?

The other oddity with your cap is the tag with both metric and standard sizes -- 56/7. ÖBH only uses metric.

ASMC.de used to sell a diverse range of M-43-style caps in both faux and functional pulldown styles. I haven't been to their site in years so not sure if this is something they would have carried?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast