Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BGS sumpftarn real vs repro

Article about: Good morning all another member has asked me to start this thread concerning modern reproduction Sumpftarn trousers and a M43 style field cap that I unfortunately own .That story will be tol

?

Default BGS sumpftarn real vs repro

Good morning all another member has asked me to start this thread concerning modern reproduction Sumpftarn trousers and a M43 style field cap that I unfortunately own .That story will be told in a different thread at a different time So I will post them here for review and comparison as another member will be posting images of originals for comparison.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture BGS sumpftarn real vs repro   BGS sumpftarn real vs repro  

BGS sumpftarn real vs repro   BGS sumpftarn real vs repro  

BGS sumpftarn real vs repro  
    Last edited by oradour; 01-22-2012 at 12:03 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement BGS sumpftarn real vs repro
    P
    Many

Default Re: BGS sumpftarn real vs repo

Mark.....your trousers are lightweight leisure/sports wear, a modern reproduction probably made in Asia, they would of had four labels affixed inside and out...outside a small black label on rear right pocket flap with the initials/logo "MFH INT.COMP" Inside, large green label affixed to rear right pocket interior, outlining washing instructions (in English) headed "U.S. BDU PANTS"..Three labels are then affixed to the centre of the inside rear waistband, one a small green label giving size details, the next slighly bigger is the importers label, and read "Imported by Max Fuchs AG and an address" the next label even larger reads in twelve languages materials used in construction, 65% Polyester 35% Cotton. Note the rear pocket flaps...the repros are not as originals should be. The cut is nothing like an original pair of BGS Sumpftarn trousers..the base colour are too light and the cammo colours too bright.....originals have a button up fly, the repros zipped, and no attachments for braces as the originals have....note the U.S. style of waist adjustment, i.e. slider, the originals are two button adjustment...the construction of the repros is as I have said lightweight compared to the originals which are made from heavy duty canvas material, the repros would not last long in the field. For comparison...the repro pair weigh 584 grams, the originals 1 Kilo 15 grams !
    So beware out there as people will remove labels and try to pass the repros as genuine ! To sum up the repros are nothing like the originals other than being in a similar colour !
    I have put a series of photographs for the interested to study.....The first set are of an original pair (minus their patch pockets) Hope this helps.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture BGS sumpftarn real vs repro   BGS sumpftarn real vs repro  

And now for the comparison photographs.......first, second and last show the labels that are present on the repro pants, the others show original pair on the left and repro on the right......Mark, you can see where yuor labels should be, the one on the rear pocket flap even having a minute piece of the black label still attached..bottom, right corner !
    Prost ! Steve.

I find it odd that they reproduce these.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    I find it odd that they reproduce these.
    They are even reproducing "Moleskin" Jackets/trousers....supplies of BGS Sumpftarn were disposed off in the mid seventies, there is now a demand for the pattern...most if not all NATO cammo is now reproduced for the civilian/security market......Have a look here New FASHION Combat Cargo Pants Trousers BGS CAMO - | eBay
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Default Re: BGS sumpftarn real vs repro

Thanks For showing all the images Steve and the invaluable information when I received them I knew they were modern reproductions This is the reason they were never posted to the BGS Sumpftarn thread as discussed by you and I .

Regards Mark K

A good informative thread guys.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

I have borrowed these Images of a BGS Sumpftarn M43 style field cap from the BGS thread I hope you dont mind Steve as I would like to use them for comparison to show the diffrences between this original cap that Steve posted images of and the cheaply made ultra modern reproduction cap that was sent to me in the mail .The cap that was posted by Steve was manufactured in March of 1959 and is nicely stamped with the makers mark size and date of manufacture with the addition of the soldiers name being sewn in on a tag.There are some very obvious differences between the original cap and the one I received. The original cap has a stamped liner, The brim of the cap has been stitched across in five separate locations to add strength as well as to keep the material in close contact with the brim.Take note as well of the two buttons that are sewn on this original as well as the loose stitching were there was a roundal present at one time. None of these characteristics I have mentioned above are present on the reproduction cap that was sent to me there was much discussion and a image shown of the cap that I was to purchase in th BGS Sumpftarn thread. Some of the discussion focused around the possibility of the cap being a private purchase cap that was manufactured by ( Sturm ) which would have been allright by me as they are of high quality and are a private supplier to many armed forces/securityfirms around the world .The first image is of the cap I was to receive but the images and or the description that was posted of this cap in the BGS Sumpftarn thread in no way matches the cap that was mailed to me by the seller.

Regards Mark K
    Attached Images Attached Images BGS sumpftarn real vs repro  BGS sumpftarn real vs repro  BGS sumpftarn real vs repro  BGS sumpftarn real vs repro  BGS sumpftarn real vs repro 

Mark...you have beat me to it ! I intended at sometime today to address the cap, only my son and daughter have visited for Sunday lunch.....you have done as I was going to do..show the original, the one you have is a "Miltec" made new item..see here GERMAN ARMY STYLE WW2 FIELD CAP in SUMPFTARN CAMO | eBay they sell on E-Bay for £6 ! you have covered the comparisons in your post above...however one thing we have not mentioned are the air vents/holes, originals have two, one each side, the repros four, two each side. It would appear that "cammo" wear is becoming fashionable, I mentioned the trousers, but T-shirts, hats etc are all available for the man around town ! here I show another cap, not made to decieve, but as a fashionable item, a baseball style cap in Sumpftarn material, elasticated at eh back for "one size" fits all, great for your holidays...but sadly nothing else.....So guys you have been warned ! photos show the baseball style cap and third photo the "Miltec" repro currently on sale on E-Bay.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Thanks for the addition of the extra details Steve concerning the air vent I was still researching images and information on the subject matter of the vents I was unshur if the private purchase (STURM) caps had 2 or 4 air vents .So you have beat me to it

Regards Mark K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast