Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Blue Division Vets awards....................

Article about: Gents I know not strictly 57er awards, but I think we can allow them here as they are veterans replacement medals...Spanish made, between the mid 1940's to the 1980's, for members of the Spa

?

Quote by meyle77 View Post
    interesting but why so poorly made ?
    Because they didnt have access to the German equipment for making them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Blue Division Vets awards....................
    P
    Many

Quote by Scout View Post
    Because they didnt have access to the German equipment for making them.
    any skilled jeweller could make a better job than those - they surely had access to originals that could be copied to make dies.
    also Spanish are known for their jewellery and fine metal work but those are terrible examples of workmanship.
    only explanation that comes to mind is low budget hence the quality.

Gents, It would appear that the two above medals were made by "Casa Flandez group" of Calle Mayor 11 in Madrid (information from seller) .......Here is a fascinating article in Spaniish (I have used google translate) on Spanish producers of awards, orders and medals
    Google Translate
    Prost ! Steve.

Gents, here they are, in hand, so to speak......
    My collection of Spanish made replacement awards...I would imagine these are in the mid to late type 57er bracket....now to find some earlier made 1940's-1950's made examples.................and an EK I !
    Prost ! Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Blue Division Vets awards....................   Blue Division Vets awards....................  

?

I wonder, if it was out of allegiance, that they didnt merely make their own post war medal designs.

Scout, you have to remember, these are for veterans that served in Hitler's Wehrmacht, so these are replacement awards to replace lost/stolen original German issue medals......they, that is the Azul (Blue) Division did also receive various Spanish awards both during and after WW2.......this post war example is a Spanish designed and produced Russian front commemorative medal for Spanish volunteers..............
    Prost ! Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images Blue Division Vets awards....................  Blue Division Vets awards.................... 

?

I realize that. Its just the circumstances post 45 - but then of course other veterans wore practically the same medals/decorations as during the war just sans the 'forbidden symbol.'

Anyway, thanks for sharing these. A very interesting chapter of history.

Do we have any info on how 'well liked' the sporting of these decorations were in light of the 'real politiker' Franco and him clearly seeing which say the war was going and thus cooling a bit towards his German Allies in the latter part of the War?

I assume official Spain had no problems during the Franco regime.

That Russian Front Medal looks great - again, thanks for sharing.

My latest Spanish replacement award........a "Verdienstorden vom Deutschen Adler funfte stufe" (German Order of the Eagle 5th class)......another beautifully made award I would hazard a guess at 1970-80's production.
    These awards are difficult to obtain/find, luck would have it that the vendor thought it a fake of a TR version......so £18 got this, he even sent me a gift because he thought I had paid to much !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Blue Division Vets awards....................   Blue Division Vets awards....................  

Group shot of the Spaniards !
    Prost ! Steve.

Gents, a little something to add to my Spanish display, Falange party lapel badge, numbered and marked with "M" for member, others marked "A" are for associate member, believed from an unused cache from the 1940's..............Many a Blue Division soldier was a member of the Falange party and the symbol with depicts a yoke and arrows ( symbol of the the monarchy of Ferdinand and Isabella ) was often seen affixed to items of uniform.
    Prost ! Steve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast