Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Bundeswehr steel helmets.

Article about: Gentleman as promised, a couple of Bundeswehr helmets I have recently obtained to keep my GSG 9 helmet company, the Bundeswehr collection grows !...Model Fallschirmjager 59 paratrooper (Luft

Default Re: Bundeswehr steel helmets.

thanks for showing steve ,she's a beaut ,your crisp close up photo's really highlight this ,so many variations but at the same time so facinating ,a great example ,cheers james
    Regards James

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bundeswehr steel helmets.
    P
    Many

?

Very cool thread Gentlemen.
    I might be joining you guys with my very first West German helmet - if all goes well...
    As some of you might know; I collect Hungarian cold war stuff - and lately, NVA (early gear from 60s) - and I thought I get all the neighboring nations' headgear (strictly early 1950s -60s) at least - starting with a BW M60. ( I already have a 1952 French helmet. )
    Polish and Czech helmets would be next...

Cheers,
    Fabe

good for you fabe ,i hope you are successful in finding those helmets and when you do post up some pictures please

Quote by James C View Post
    good for you fabe ,i hope you are successful in finding those helmets and when you do post up some pictures please
    Absolutely Fabe, please post any of your BW finds, we would love to see them
    Good hunting.....
    Prost ! Steve.

here's my latest aquisition and im slightly confused on the liner chinstrap configuration i believe this to be the m62 shell and i was hoping to add the m81 variant as i dont have one but have the later m85 with 3 point chinstrap ,this one has the 2 point chinstrap, this strap only has the breakaway catch and im sure there should be 2 catches the other one being solid unless im confusing this with the m85 chinstrap ,now on further inspection i notice the rear part of the shell has the 3 point rivit and bracket and also the liner is dated 1990 so it has to be an m85 modernised so i have two theories ,either the helmet was upgraded from the m81 to m85 spec but the chinstrap wasnt or the soldier prefered the 2 point strap ,if this was allowed i dont know so you can see my confusion ,i notice a small fracture line which ive never seen happen to these bw before and to me seem very well made and heavy shells ,as i dont have any spare spiderweb helmnetz im going to have just use the covers i have left ,the flectarn cover is just a de elasticated gefechtshelm cover but suits it quite well ,here's the pictures,id really like to learn some more on these facinating helmets and all the different liner configurations ,Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.
    Last edited by James C; 04-29-2014 at 06:55 PM.
    Regards James

James, although I have already posted this information,it is quite relevant to your questions and helmet, so here it is again....... it would appear that after 1981 it was intended that all steel helmet models were to be upgraded. this list shows all variants of the basic M60/62, sorry for any mistakes, as I have had to translate from French. 1) Models M81 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": shell second type, side edges thin, with interior model 1981 (which has a plastic neck protector added) , with a 2-point chinstrap. 2 external rivets for the chinstrap. Screw head on crown.
    2) M85 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": shell second type, side edges thin, with interior model 1981, with the new 3-point chinstrap. 3 external chinstrap rivets, screw head on crown.

Also old helmets M60/62's were upgraded:

1) M60/85 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": shell first type. Interior model 1981. The 6 old rivet holes are sealed and 3 are added to the 3-point chinstrap. Screw head on crown. This is the standard M85 M60 renovated (9 visible rivets).
    2) M60-62/85 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": first shell type.Interior model 1981. The two old rivet holes of the former interior are sealed, three new rivets are set for the new 3-point chinstrap. Screw head on crown not visible. This is brought to standard M60/62 M85 (5 visible rivets) specification.
    3) M62/85 or M81/85 - M-1A1 "modifiziert, Bodentruppenhelm": shell second type. interior model 1981. The two rivet holes of the old interior are sealed and three new rivets are set for the new 3-point chinstrap. Screw head on crown visible. This is brought to the M62 or 81 to standard M85 (5 visible rivets) specifications.
    Note: The interior 60 and interior 81 is easily interchangeable, can be found in M60/62 or M62 equipped with interior model 1981 after upgrade. Note, all have the plastic neck protector as part of the 1981 interior package.
    A good read through should identify your helmet........................be careful to count all rivets and check for filled holes !
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Great examples my fellow collectors, Steve please feel free to add my models here from the World Steel Helmets forum if you want to,and as I gain more BW helmets I will be glad to add them to this excellent thread

thank you for your help on this one steve ive still a lot to learn on this fascinating subject
    Regards James

well here's a small update to the finished M1 -A1-modifiziert as the shell has the hallmarks of the m85 albiet with a 2 point chinstrap im going for this look using the former east german netting and purely for display ive added the rear namenschildBundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.Bundeswehr steel helmets.
    Regards James

Hi all
    ive been sorting out my helmet collection that I had in storage.. I will post any interesting ones I find as I sort through them!!!
    here's some pics of one of my first Steel helmets its my old Bundeswehr Helmet.. Leather liner is dated 1975 in size 55-57,the shell seems very small too!!! The liner plastic cage has 68' on it date I guess.... shell has no markings anywhere but has been factory refinished at some stage inside and out so stamp may have be sprayed over !!... this one also seems to have missed the Modifizert boat!! as it still retains its twin chin strap bails!!! chin strap hardwear is standard Bundeswehr single OLC open clip..

your thoughts please!???
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bundeswehr steel helmets.   Bundeswehr steel helmets.  

Bundeswehr steel helmets.   Bundeswehr steel helmets.  

Bundeswehr steel helmets.   Bundeswehr steel helmets.  

Bundeswehr steel helmets.  

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast