Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can anyone id this lid?

Article about: Hi folks, can anyone help me Id this helmet. I've had it ages, it came with a 73 liner and a woodland camo cover from same year. But note the holes, one on each side and two at the rear. I a

Default Can anyone id this lid?

Can anyone id this lid?Can anyone id this lid?Hi folks, can anyone help me Id this helmet. I've had it ages, it came with a 73 liner and a woodland camo cover from same year. But note the holes, one on each side and two at the rear. I also cannot see any marking inside and cannot see a seam front or rear. There is also no seam visible on top, unlike my '44 rear seam helmet. I'm guessing this is not US? Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Can anyone id this lid?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Can anyone id this lid?

It might be a West German para shell. I'm not sure if the holes are supposed to be countersunk like the WW2 FJ helmets though.

Cheers KradSpam, you got it. Its a West German M71 Airborne helmet, just found it on Brendon's helmets. Not sure how it ended up with a US liner and cover, but there you go! Thanks again!

This is a shell to a West German M1A1 LL Paratrooper helmet, unofficially called an M71. Also supplied to the Belgians and a couple of other countries.

The M1A1 LL stahlhelm (steel helmet) of the Bundeswehr came in to servie in 1961.

Regards,

Russ

As soon as I saw the liner holes I knew it was West German. Maybe you can get a correct liner for it. NH

im interested in seeing the retro fitted US liner and how it was attached ,styles of the US pattern covers were used on these west german helmets before the official covers were introduced

Indeed an" M1A1 LuftLandetruppens (Paratrooper) Stahlhelm"....some times called an M71 by collectors, wrongly in my opinion...I think some use it because it was the nomenclature of the Belgian variant.....it will probably be easier to find and purchase a complete helmet, they are widely available, some still cheaply.
    Heres what it should look like....
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone id this lid?   Can anyone id this lid?  

Can anyone id this lid?   Can anyone id this lid?  

here's mine, steve your's is a superb example can i ask if yours has an ink stamp on the inside to the side of the liner mine shows the size as a large 71 and year of manufacture as 1966
    Can anyone id this lid?Can anyone id this lid?Can anyone id this lid?

James, Yes it is stamped in white, as yours....made November 1965, also size 71 and manufactured by " PSL" which is " Paul Schulze & Co. Lübeck".
    Prost ! Steve.

brilliant steve and thanks for letting me know the maker i never knew what the PSL stood for

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast