Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Don't tell me they never wore it -- Bundeswehr Edition

Article about: This is from another forum (from years ago) and was discussed as an alleged Hartmann cap. I've always found it to be a fascinating piece as it goes opposite to what we normally see -- e.g. a

?

Default WW2 Luftwaffe cap converted to postwar Bundesluftwaffe

This is from another forum (from years ago) and was discussed as an alleged Hartmann cap. I've always found it to be a fascinating piece as it goes opposite to what we normally see -- e.g. a Bundeswehr cap pretending to be WW2.

Several stories went with this, IIRC. One alleged that this Wehrmacht-era cap was used due to shortages of Bundeswehr/Luftwaffe uniform items. This story gets torpedoed since the Bundesluftwaffe didn't switch from grey to blue for the first two years. By that time, embroidered cap badges, not metal, were in use by officers.

Same spin on possible Hartmann connection. By the time he rejoined the military, the embroidered cap badges were already in use.

The last story was a shortage of uniforms. IMO, there was no shortage so severe that the Bundeswehr would even remotely consider allowing 3rd Reich uniforms to be worn.

The cap itself is pretty intriguing.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Don't tell me they never wore it -- Bundeswehr Edition  
    Last edited by FtrPlt; 06-21-2013 at 10:17 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Don't tell me they never wore it -- Bundeswehr Edition
    P
    Many