Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eiserner Halbmond replacement award

Article about: My latest acquisition is something a little bit different from the other 1957er decorations I purchased so far. While manufactured in post-WW2 Germany as a replacement award for veterans, it

Default Eiserner Halbmond replacement award

My latest acquisition is something a little bit different from the other 1957er decorations I purchased so far.

While manufactured in post-WW2 Germany as a replacement award for veterans, it is actually not a 1957er decoration as such, as it is both a foreign decoration and one from World War I: The Turkish War Medal (Harp Madalyası, known in Germany as the Eiserner Halbmond [Iron Crescent] and commonly referred to as a "Gallipoli Star" in the English-speaking world.)

Instituted in 1915, large numbers of this decoration were awarded to German troops during the Great War, resulting in a demand for replacement copies along with those for the German WWI- and WW2-era decorations.

The star is heavily vaulted and of rather nice quality:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eiserner Halbmond replacement award
    P
    Many

Very nice Andreas! Congrats!
    Didn't know these existed.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Very nice Andreas! Congrats!
    Didn't know these existed.
    Ralph.
    I have never seen one of these either but it certainly is an attractive piece. Unlike most of the post WWII "replacements" this one is almost as pleasing to the eye as the original officers silver type

Thanks for showing me something new!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

very nice

Quality is very nice! Do you know the maker Andreas?

Regards,
    Nick

Quote by Nick Hessens View Post
    Quality is very nice! Do you know the maker Andreas?
    Unfortunately not.

Hübsch erinnert mich an einen Sheriff Stern....

?

Beautiful award.. Congrats on adding that one to your collection

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Unfortunately not.
    It's not a St&L, nor Deumer. Are you sure it is from the 57 period and not earlier?

Don't want to make you worry Andreas, but unfortunately there are some dangerous copies of the Gallipoli star around......

Here's a Steinhauer for comparison:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eiserner Halbmond replacement award   Eiserner Halbmond replacement award  

Quote by Nick Hessens View Post
    It's not a St&L, nor Deumer. Are you sure it is from the 57 period and not earlier?
    It was offered as such by the seller.

I cannot completely rule out that it might be from an earlier period. (Come to think of it, this decoration could be worn throughout the WW1/Weimar/Third Reich/post-war/FRG periods without any interruption.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast