Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

The good, the bad and now the ugly ! A very late 57er RK.

Article about: Gentlemen, I have just completed my line up of St u L RK's from the earliest "B" frame first core thro to the last "D" framed second cored.............this collection inc

Default The good, the bad and now the ugly ! A very late 57er RK.

Gentlemen, I have just completed my line up of St u L RK's from the earliest "B" frame first core thro to the last "D" framed second cored.............this collection includes both marked (Silver content) 800, 925 and unmarked versions of all frames and core combinations ....... Eight RK's in all, the last cross is, I suspect one the very last made by this company, I show it here..........
    Many members will not collect the later RK's due to there appalling quality reputation, which as we all know deteriorated throughout the production period, this cross typifies the reason why many collectors treat the later crosses with contempt, but as a champion of the later crosses I had to have one for my collection......It is unmarked, being the versilbert version and is truly of bad construction ! the soldering is poor, with seperating of the frame especially around the dipping ring, the frame stamping is not so clear cut as on earlier "D" frames, and I have noticed flaws not evident on earlier, say 1980's constructed crosses....the dent row is evident on the 3'o clock arm (hopefully it is not my eyes !) , the core as usual is non magnetic with paint seeping up the sides ! The ribbon suspension hoop is too long and looks like it is a piece of shaped wire ! No other "D" frame in my collection is as bad, indeed they are of good quality, the bead blasted finish and lack of polishing letting them down.....In my opinion this is probably one last RK's made by St u L sometime in the last few years.............it is still available on their price list.
    This cross taints the earlier crosses in the eye of many........see if you agree.......I also show all three "D" framed RK's together.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The good, the bad and now the ugly ! A very late 57er RK.   The good, the bad and now the ugly ! A very late 57er RK.  

The good, the bad and now the ugly ! A very late 57er RK.   The good, the bad and now the ugly ! A very late 57er RK.  

The good, the bad and now the ugly ! A very late 57er RK.   The good, the bad and now the ugly ! A very late 57er RK.  

The good, the bad and now the ugly ! A very late 57er RK.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The good, the bad and now the ugly ! A very late 57er RK.
    P
    Many

Wow....that really IS some hideous quality! To think that these ultra high honor awards are actually being given out to the heroes who earned them by their own Government is just terrible....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Jeez ultra low quality!.......

Yikes, quality went downhill like a run away truck. Good of you to collect it for what it is and to complete the set. May not be as pretty as the early crosses but it's still what it is. I wouldn't mind having an early RK someday.

Nice collection of Post-war RK's, Steve. I like the look of the
    Oak leaves and Swords versions. They really are
    beautiful medals.........
    Regards,

Steve.