Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A Military Denied It's Chain of Tradition?

Article about: I read an interesting article recently, something about how a German army unit had a little plaque that paid homage to the men of WW2 who served in it's ranks. The discovery was met with out

TWS
    ?

Yes of course the awards authorized in 1957 were only the specifically military ones - albeit without swastikas of course. Curiously, although the NVA did not allow WWII decorations, there were a number of other ways in which the NVA was closer to the Wehrmacht than the Bundeswehr. Just to name a few: Goose-stepping, use of jingling johnnies that closely approximated Wehrmacht examples, officer daggers (BW had none), use of a helmet design that was proto-typed during the TR, etc. etc.

During its creation the BW even adopted the U.S. "steel pot" helmet to get away from the image of the Stahlhelm that was iconic for WWII. They must have been a little chagrined when the U.S. Army first fielded the modern Kevlar helmet because it strongly resembles the shape of the WWII Stahlhelm - and is what I wore during my service time.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A Military Denied It's Chain of Tradition?
    P
    Many

Quote by TWS View Post
    During its creation the BW even adopted the U.S. "steel pot" helmet to get away from the image of the Stahlhelm that was iconic for WWII. They must have been a little chagrined when the U.S. Army first fielded the modern Kevlar helmet because it strongly resembles the shape of the WWII Stahlhelm - and is what I wore during my service time.
    Which I believe, was for exactly the PC reasons we are discussing here.

The M35 and later patterns were derived from the WWI patterns. There was nothing wrong with the design (not the same as saying it couldn't be improved) it was simply a matter of general perception of the image. The M35/40 style was perfectly good enough for the Bundesgrenzschutz but they weren't on display to the world in the same way! Funny that when cost had to be a major issue in the period. Not to mention Feuerwehr helmets (in more countries than just Germany) both period and later produced with the same profile.

Plenty of other countries used either German supplied or later procured helmets or locally produced facsimilies.

I also recall that when the first US kevlar lids made an appearance they were dubbed "The Fritz" and many modern composite helmets do seem to bear at least passing resemblance to the style.

This of course has little to do with tradition etc but does put a bit of a "hole in the boat" of all the PC rubbish that provoked this debate.

Talk about "throwing the baby out with the bath water"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The thing that made me acutely aware of the error in politicizing combatants and those who serve in the military, regardless the flag they fight under, was one discussion with a Vietnam combat veteran. This man told me a story, and I located an after action report and verified it as true, that while on patrol around Christmas time, in which year I cannot recall, his close friend stepped on a buried explosive and it detonated. His friend was basically bisected just below the rib cage and he sustained shrapnel and concussion wounds. And, as the last bit of light faded from his friends eyes there in the mud of Vietnam, he cradled his head and told him it would be okay. He sobbed and cried as he told me that, and then told me how when he finally got to come home he was accosted and spat upon and called names by "hippies" or whatever. That man served because he was drafted, not because he hated Vietnamese people or blindly believed what the government said about the situation there. His friend left this Earth that day not espousing anti-communist slogans, but crying to be home and see his loved ones.
    That was a very eye opening and sobering day.

Hello,
    Something is missing ?
    you tell me....
    Thanks

A Military Denied It's Chain of Tradition?A Military Denied It's Chain of Tradition?A Military Denied It's Chain of Tradition?A Military Denied It's Chain of Tradition?A Military Denied It's Chain of Tradition?A Military Denied It's Chain of Tradition?

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

No, nothing is missing from your photos. However, the units are not allowed the freedom to apolitically remember certain eras nor are they to use certain insignia/emblems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2