Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Open or closed hinge block ? 57er's

Article about: There is a very early 57er APB in silver for sale on ebay. Stunning piece!

Default Open or closed hinge block ? 57er's

Ladies & Gents.....We know that 57er awards changed in 1968 to open hinge blocks as opposed to the closed variety, and most collectors regard these mid to late pieces as "junk", I know the quality is'nt as good as the early pieces,....but the late 60's to 1970's versions were not IMO as bad as some folk state, there are still some nice badges and medals from that time period, and a lot were still vet bought, not just for the collectors market.....the late 70's and early 80's produced some of the worse 57er's, bad frame soldering, excess flash left in place and glitzy finishes...these really are to be avoided ! so here is a small selection of my mid (after 68-) to late (mid 70's) 57er awards..compare and comment....
    It is of course unknown when St u L dropped magnetic cores in their EK's, some think in the early 1970's. The EK I shown here has a crisp magnetic core, but lacks frosting or burnishing of the early versions....see for yourselves
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Open or closed hinge block ? 57er's   Open or closed hinge block ? 57er's  

Open or closed hinge block ? 57er's   Open or closed hinge block ? 57er's  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Open or closed hinge block ? 57er's
    P
    Many

Default Re: Open or closed hinge block ? 57er's

Here is a comparison between my Deutsche Kreuz in Gold, the early one is on the left.....notice larger catch/rivets on the post 68 "open hinge" version....
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Open or closed hinge block ? 57er's   Open or closed hinge block ? 57er's  

?

I have two S&L '57 EK1s, one with the open hinge block and one closed.

The cross with the open hinge block is the later, 'glitzy' type with the thick core painted after assembly and is very much thicker than the other.

The closed hinge EK1 has a burnished frame, the core painted prior to it being sandwiched between the frames and is very much lighter and thinner. A much finer piece despite the being very little weight to it.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

And here is such a glitzy 1980's produced Fallschirmjager badge, a late ST u L for the collectors market...apologies to the dealer concerned, but it is advertised as an 1980's piece.......and it shows the late traits perfectly for comparison purposes, not so well finished, as on earlier badges..but you certainly can not miss it ! Do not forget that the ST u L identifying mark the "O", can be found on the mid to late open hinge variants, in the time period 1968 to early 70's.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Open or closed hinge block ? 57er's  

The Deutsche Kreuz in Gold comparison......The oakleaves are different too. Do you know when they changed this?

Apart from that, in my search for 57ers I saw some really good mid pieces; like this nice minesweeper badge for instance (currently for sale on a different forum):

Ingrid a nice minesweeper badge, IMO worth having....re the Deutsche Kreuz in Gold, I have no idea when they (ST u L) changed the EK motif, they obviously did at some point .....I would guess in the early 1970's. Here is another piece with an open hinge block...a Silver Close Combat Clasp, not as nice as the Bronze closed hinged version I have, but still IMO worth having...especially at £24 ! what do you think ?
    Prost ! Steve.

I ask because my DKIG with closed hinge block has the smaller oakleaves like on your later piece.

Nice CCC.

Regards

Quote by Ingrid Patrouille View Post
    I ask because my Deutsche Kreuz in Gold with closed hinge block has the smaller oakleaves like on your later piece. Regards
    Ingrid...if your Deutsche Kreuz in Gold has the smaller oakleaves then the EK symbol must of been changed before 1968 !....there are so many mysteries when it comes to 57 awards, when this, that or the other was changed/modified...we can only learn from each other and come to a decision on common ground ....discussion and comparisons are the way to resolve such issues. Ingrid I have just noticed the seller name on the mine sweeper badge, I have just bought a 57er Anti Partisan badge from him...an open hinge variant, but still crisp and because of what it is, still collectable, as early ones are nigh impossible to obtain......and very expensive ! I will post for evaluation when received.
    Prost ! Steve.

Quote by oradour View Post
    I have just noticed the seller name on the mine sweeper badge, I have just bought a 57er Anti Partisan badge from him...an open hinge variant, but still crisp and because of what it is, still collectable, as early ones are nigh impossible to obtain......and very expensive !
    He is a good seller, I got my frosty S&L and Deumer EK2 from him. I know have an early minesweeper badge and an early (60's) S&L EK1 on the way.

Regards

Ladies & Gents another open hinge beauty ! a APB, anti-partisan badge, bronze grade (the flash on my camera makes it look Gold !), this is a stunningly designed badge, but not particularly politically correct ! however it is a post 68' made award..very early versions had a solid rear, not unlike the silver/gold wound badges, but it appears that St u L (who made this badge) tried to save money and made a hash of "scooping out" the mould/die ! so as not to use as much material in its production, this was done prior to 1968, probably in the mid production era, and is a feature of earlier badges.
    Prost ! Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast