Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Post-war DRL Reichssportabzeichen

Article about: Today, I felt like presenting my post-war DRL Sports Badges. I have already posted most of these pieces elsewhere, but felt it would make sense to feature them in a thread of their own. In s

Default Post-war DRL Reichssportabzeichen

Today, I felt like presenting my post-war DRL Sports Badges. I have already shown most of these pieces elsewhere, but felt it would make sense to feature them in a thread of their own. Note that this is not Bundeswehr badge and was not authorized for wear on Bundeswehr uniforms (although it can definitely be seen in some period photos of Bundesgrenzschutz or police personnel), but is posted here for lack of a more appropriate sub-forum.

In some older reference works (like Littlejohn/Dodkins or Klietmann) and still on some dealer sites and online auctions today, these badges are incorrectly described as a transitional model between the "DRA" sports badge and the "DRL" sports badge with Swastika. However, it has been known for quite a long time now that they are actually unofficial replacement badges for the Deutsches Reichssportabzeichen [German Reichs Sports Badge] that first made their appearance in the early post-war years, pre-dating the 1957er decorations.

These badges are encountered in three different varieties. The first one has a "pierced" DRL monogram and a small triangular "peak" atop the bow at the base of the wreath. From a design viewpoint, this element does not make sense. It is obviously a remnant of the Swastika found on the original DRL badge and only there because Third Reich-era dies were re-tooled and used to produce these badges. Seen from the reverse side, the bow looks just like that on the original badge with the Swastika. It stands to reason that this variant was the first one produced.
    Here are examples for all grades (two each for the silver and gold grade):

The second variety does not have this "peak". Here are my examples for the bronze, silver and gold grade (unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a Versehrtensportabzeichen [Sports Badge for the War Wounded] in this version yet). Interestingly, the gold grade has had its original hinge-and-pin assembly removed and replaced by a different, horizontal one:

The third variety has a "filled-in" DRL monogram and is always seen with a wide "coke bottle" pin. Examples for all grades, with two (one of which is unfortunately not in very good condition) for the silver one:

Finally, a group picture:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post-war DRL Reichssportabzeichen
    P
    Many

Cheers Andreas, that is the new thing for today i have learned!.....

It took me a long time to find one, but here at last is the one that was still missing, the Versehrtensportabzeichen in the version with the pierced monogram and without the "peak".

Obverse and reverse view:

With its two brethren:

Just in is this single ribbon bar for the bronze badge:

It is very rare to find these badges on ribbon bars. So far, I have seen only one other example:

I finally found single ribbon bars for the silver and gold grade as well: