Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Post war Hussarian Pelzmutze

Article about: The latest addition to my small collection is this Hussars-style Pelzmutze. I have absolutely no idea when it dates from, and I have never seen another like it. My gut instinct is that it pr

Default Post-war Hussars Pelzmutze

The latest addition to my small collection is this Hussars-style Pelzmutze. I have absolutely no idea when it dates from, and I have never seen another like it. My gut instinct is that it probably dates from the 1950's/60's period. The badge to the front is of the type once used by the Hussars - and now used by the Bundeswehr Police units, although their badge has a wreath around it. The motto on the badge reads... 'SUUM CUIQUE' which roughly translates... TO EACH HIS OWN

The busby is extremely well-made, the chinstrap is almost the same as those used on Pickelhaube and M16 helmets. It has been suggested this might be a headdress worn for ceremonial duties by a German 'Honouring' regiment. Has anyone seen another like it, or can anyone shed some light on what I actually have?

cheers,
    Steve.

Post war  Hussarian PelzmutzePost war  Hussarian PelzmutzePost war  Hussarian PelzmutzePost war  Hussarian PelzmutzePost war  Hussarian PelzmutzePost war  Hussarian PelzmutzePost war  Hussarian Pelzmutze

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post war  Hussarian Pelzmutze
    P
    Many

Sorry Steve, but it is not Bundeswehr, not even for ceremonial duties.........IMO a marching band hat...... prolific in Germany, these civilian military style bands are well known for there "Gala" dress style uniforms many taking their styling from the old Hussar Regiments uniforms.
    Prost ! Steve.

Ah well... not to worry!

still a nice hat.

And indeed well made!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

More news on the hat... Maybe all is not lost after all. Here is an exact transcript of the email I had from the seller today...

Hello Steve,

I collect my items in household cleanings and buy stuff from the elderly homes around the western part of Germany. I have had these Busby hats before, and this one bears the heraldic Weapon (probably means Wappen) for, I believe Sachsen. Every regiment overhere has his own honouring compagnie and also a Musikband. This particular one came with a Bundeswehr 1960's tunic and visor from a 'Lehr' or Ausbildungs regiment from the same household. The hats that are worn by private/public bands are quite different. They do not have the white or red 'flap' (Kolpak) and they carry a big music insignia at front. all the regimental units wear uniforms same as the WW1 parade or dress uniforms. it is a bit a problem to whre WW2 based uniforms over here.
    Kind regards,
    Martin.

So there you have it. According to the seller it is a regimental ceremonial Pelzmutze. Either way - it is still a nice hat!

Cheers,
    Steve.