Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 Vets BW Panzer combi.

Article about: Gents a piece of early BW kit...a July 1959 dated Panzer combination one piece coverall, nothing particularly special, except I know who owned this one, I bought it from the son of a WW2 vet

Default WW2 Vets BW Panzer combi.

Gents a piece of early BW kit...a July 1959 dated Panzer combination one piece coverall, nothing particularly special, except I know who owned this one, I bought it from the son of a WW2 veteran. You will see that the makers label has an ink marking "M POHL" upon it, after contacting the seller, I was informed it was his fathers suit, and that the marking refered to his rank and last name, "Major Pohl" I was also given the following information by the son....full name Helmut Pohl, born 1920, served from 1939-1945 in the Wehrmacht, EK I and II holder, together with both Infanterie Sturmabzeichen and Panzerkampf Abzeichen and wound badge, after a seven year gap he joined the BGS in 1952, then transfered into the BW in 1955, as an Officer. In 1959 a Major when issued with this panzer combination. In 1965 promoted Lt Colonel and became Commanding Officer of Panzer Battalion 314 "Oldenburg" (at a time of conversion to Leopard 1's) to 1969, retired 1977, this unit was part of Panzergrenadierbrigade 31. Died 1997. See here for information on PzBtl 314 Das Panzerbataillon 314 in Oldenburg | PzBtl314 | PzBtl.314
    The piece of kit in question, the panzer combination was first issued in 1959 and is still in the BW inventory (Flecktarn)..notice the white reinforcment straps/webbingon the inside, open up the back slit between the shoulders, (doubles as a ventilation opening) and another crew member could reach inside and pull you out in the event of an emergency, neat ! there is also a leather lined pouch/holster by the left armpit....pistol ? it has several zip pockets...see photos. Goes well with my Panzer hard hat/beret, I have added a small prop to the item, an Officers waterproof side cap, stuffed into one of the leg pockets.....for wearing when dismounted ! Prost ! Steve.

Below..LtOberst Helmut Pohl.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Vets BW Panzer combi.   WW2 Vets BW Panzer combi.  

WW2 Vets BW Panzer combi.   WW2 Vets BW Panzer combi.  

WW2 Vets BW Panzer combi.   WW2 Vets BW Panzer combi.  

WW2 Vets BW Panzer combi.  
    Attached Images Attached Images WW2 Vets BW Panzer combi. 
    Last edited by oradour; 10-19-2011 at 01:36 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Vets BW Panzer combi.
    P
    Many

Default Re: WW2 Vets BW Panzer combi.

Hey Steve
    Great story!
    Any chance to see the combi?
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Kris...you must of been viewing whilst I was loading the photos ! done...
    Prost ! Steve.

Looks great, Steve! Thanks for showing.

Regards

Here is the emblem for the breast hanger for PzBtl 314 and PzGr 31 Brigades armshield design....... Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Vets BW Panzer combi.  
    Attached Images Attached Images WW2 Vets BW Panzer combi. 

very nice steve brilliant bit of history well done on a good buy

tom

I think it's pretty cool!

PzBtl314
    ?

Nice,
    @ Steve:
    The leather lined pouch/holster by the left armpit was used for the Walther P1 (maybe changed by BW to the H&K P8 now?)
    With the three buttons the torch (Taschenlampe) and the on bord communication device (Headset - Gegensprechanlage) was attached to the combi if needed. No other buttons where used for the Panzerkombi to avoid to be stuck in the tank in case of emergency.
    Usually the combination was given out with a secondary removable inner layer for cold conditions, but I think OTL Pohl never used that type of equipment at all!
    The combination was flame retardent for a short time and the white reinforcment straps has only been used to get somebody out of the tank in case he was to pissed to get out by himself.... Good old days!
    In these days (cold war) my commanding officer told me: "You've got 7 min to shoot the reds, and then you're f***ed...!"

P.S.: The link for information regarding the PzBtl. 314 has changed to Das Panzerbataillon 314 in Oldenburg | PzBtl314 | PzBtl.314

Cheers,
    Achim

Quote by PzBtl314 View Post
    The leather lined pouch/holster by the left armpit was used for the Walther P1 (maybe changed by BW to the H&K P8 now?)
    correct on that one the hk p8 or USP as its also known as is the currect side arms of the bundeswehr

Achim, welcome on board, and thanks for that information ! I will try to obtain both the torch and headset for my suit...I was aware that an inner suit was available for cold weather use, but like you, I guess a senior officer would probably not use one that often ! I assume you are a Bundeswehr veteran ? I look forward to your involvment in this section, it is good to have first hand knowledge available for us to listen and learn from......
    Prost ! Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast