Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

101st helmet with insignias!

Article about: Hey, a seller of one of the 29th infantry helmets i posted on the other thread has this helmet up on ebay also, its a 101st helmet with painted insignias on the side, what di you think?

There has been another discussion about this helmet on another forum.
    Turns out the chin strap buckle is nam period.
    Anyway the seller is a member of that forum and came into the thread half way through.
    Here is his opening post QUOTE below. and I must admit he seems to be a genuine guy.
    regards
    Rod

Wow, I wish someone had alerted me to this thread. That was my auction - the helmet does NOT belong to me, but was given as a "consignment" item by a friend who purchased it from Hermann Historica 2 years ago. I'm not a dealer, but am thinning my collection and will be running a few more auctions (none of which will involve additional questionable M1's). I know next to nothing about WW2 M1's, but took his word for it that the helmet was ok. Big mistake.

Please rest assured everyone, I have apologized to the buyer (who by the way had not paid) and cancelled the transaction. The lid will be going back to the consignor to do with what he pleases (not sure what that could be, at this point).

What I can't figure out is why no one here thought to message me on eBay? You all just assumed the seller was a POS? If someone had said something, I would have cancelled the listing IMMEDIATELY. Many have dealt with me on the forum and know that I conduct only legitimate and honest transactions. Please reach out, next time

He does sound genuine, hearing Hermann Historica in the same message as a questionable M1 is not a surprise to me. I saw a 101st airborne 501 PIR helmet on the website from a Normandy collector sell for over 60,000 euros with what looked to be a post war 'rigger made' liner. Just after looking at the website it seems Hermann Historica has a regular supply of ''original'' WW2 101st M1 helmets selling for just over 2000 euros

Hermann Historica - Internationales Auktionshaus für Antiken, Alte Waffen, Orden und Ehrenzeichen, Historische Sammlungsstücke

Hermann Historica - Internationales Auktionshaus für Antiken, Alte Waffen, Orden und Ehrenzeichen, Historische Sammlungsstücke

This last one looks to be the one from the auction

Cheers
    Harry

Fair play to him Rod,but he's the only one i've ever known to do that,agree shouldn't tie everyone with the same brush,but 99% of the time if you do go out on a limb and contact the seller,usually get silence or something a bit stronger,last year another shell was being put through ebay when i asked Scott who does these as worn originals,it turned out it was one of his older works that had passed through several owners,so again we get to the crunch discussion of when something is purposely faked but sold as such that somewhere down the line someone is going to try it on,the madness will never end,Harry i read mark's page years ago,and have always supported what he states with red flags and rarities.

I remember that 60000 euro helmet Harry and yes it wasn't 100% convincing if memory serves me right.
    It seems these helmets came from a collection of a deceased collector. the conclusion seems to be that half may be fake mixed with good originals. judging these para liners and helmets is difficult to say the least this is why when they appear on forums they don't get many replies as people are just not sure. and as for painted insignia, I would just about never comment on them because these are even harder to tell good from bad. depending on type of paint and type of storage shape size ect.

I know what your saying Jake about contacting sellers did it a couple of times and it worked fortunately, I must have been lucky as I've heard many stories of people being told where to go. what do we do with these painted helmets down the line, god knows apart from being vigilant.
    Rod

It was a Hawley liner. A hard to find item and sells at a premium just the way it is...

They are really not that hard to find, it is just that they are in demand as the early issued liners.
    Also dealers have kept premium prices on them.

They are really not that hard to find, it is just that they are in demand as the early issued liners.
    Also dealers have kept premium prices on them.

In the UK they are not very uncommon and usually sell for £200+

One UK based website commands £350 for just a Hawley Liner and £650 for a complete set.

£350 geez, i have been out of the loop on Hawley prices for a while.

Quote by Harry Davey View Post
    £350 geez, i have been out of the loop on Hawley prices for a while.
    Hence why mine never got sourced here but from the US instead.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3