Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

1944 m1

Article about: Hi fellow collectors, here's a salty 1944 dated M1 from my collection I though you might like to see for discussion. I am certainly not convinced 100% that the rank on the front of the shell

?

Default 1944 m1

Hi fellow collectors, here's a salty 1944 dated M1 from my collection I though you might like to see for discussion. I am certainly not convinced 100% that the rank on the front of the shell is original,and appears to have a slight "camo" colour to the shell?. But all the fixtures and fittings are as original to this period as far as I am aware. The shell serial number inside is 986G which dates this one to approx mid summer 1944.The liner is a Firestone and believe it is original to the shell, but would be keen for confirmation on this. I would love to to think that this one may have been worn during D-day, but of course there is no way to prove this one way or the other.Thanks for looking and I welcome any comment or feedback on this piece,Opex.

1944 m11944 m1
    1944 m11944 m1
    1944 m11944 m1
    1944 m11944 m1
    1944 m11944 m1

Nice later war setup Opex,to be honest i think both shell and liner are too late in production terms for Normandy,these are more common with replacement troops that arrived sometime in france around july44,still nice to have.................

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Nice later war setup Opex,to be honest i think both shell and liner are too late in production terms for Normandy,these are more common with replacement troops that arrived sometime in france around july44,still nice to have.................

Great information Jake, as ever your input and knowledge is much appreciated , many thanks!

Always here to help out folk where i can.......

Ya, nice helmet.
    As far as D-Day, probably not likely.
    You should add a leather chin strap to the liner to make it complete.
    Again, nice lid.

?

Quote by anton67 View Post
    Ya, nice helmet.
    As far as D-Day, probably not likely.
    You should add a leather chin strap to the liner to make it complete.
    Again, nice lid.

Many thanks for looking and for the compliment, I did think D Day would be a tenuous link so it's good to get confirmation,I have a spare liner chinstrap to add which would complete it nicely as you suggested, Regards Opex