Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1980’s M1 Helmet

Article about: Hi Guys I’m trying to acquire a 1980’s M1 Helmet shell. Where is the best place on the forum to place a Wanted ad?

?

Default 1980’s M1 Helmet

Hi Guys
    I’m trying to acquire a 1980’s M1 Helmet shell. Where is the best place on the forum to place a Wanted ad?

Hi quicker on USA ebay,plenty on there.regards.................

?

Rudderrangers44
    Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping to buy one from a UK seller however.
    I can get one from the USA in unissued condition for as little as £12 but when you add postage, import tax and VAT you could end up with nearly £50 in additional costs which puts me off getting one from States.

I'd certainly avoid US shipping charges.....do your research and look "local"...there's LOADS of M1s for sale BUT most of them are actually M1 "Euroclones" used in Holland, Belgium, Austria, Denmark etc..there's nothing wrong with them and certainly collectable in their own right...but they ain't American.

Good luck!

?

Cheers Composite
    I’ve built up a reasonable collection of M1’s with examples from the 40’s, 50’s, 60’s and 70’s plus a nice example of a PASGT, just need a 80’s M1 shell to complete things. I have a 80’s liner but a shell from that period still eludes me.
    If I’m correct I think RJ Stampings were the only company producing M1’s in the 80’s.
    You’re right about the Euro clones. The vast majority of the M1 types I’ve come across recently locally in antique and collectible shops have been copies.
    That’s the interesting part of collecting, trying to track down that elusive one To complete things.
    The thrill of the chase!!

I see loads of M1s (possibly clones) at Fairs around the country....but I don't think I could tell an '80s US shell from them...what would one look for?

?

First thing I look for is the usual stuff to check that it’s US, heat stamp, rim, brackets for the swivel bails. As you know the heat stamp will identify the manufacturer to establish if it’s 80’s there’s no definitive method but there are a few indicators that help put it in and around that era. If I’m correct RJ Stampings were the last company to make M1’s. In the 80’s it looks like they tended to pack there helmets with styrofoam and duck tape over the swivel bail brackets. The tape itself or the residue from the tape could indicate that it’s a 80’s helmet. It’s not fool proof, liners as you know are frequently swapped round but a 80’s type liner along with the helmet may also help to indicate it’s 80’s along with detachable chinstraps with a chincup but then again they are also easy to change.
    I’ve just bought a shell and liner off eBay. The liner is not US, it’s a Euroclone, but I’m taking a gamble with the shell. I’m 90% sure it’s US and possibly 80’s but some of the indicators where obscured in the photos so I may end up disappointed with a Euroclone shell and liner. It was reasonably priced so hopefully the gamble will pay off if not I won’t have wasted a lot of cash. I’ll know in a couple of days. Fingers crossed.

?

Hi guys
    To update you on my recent purchase.
    Good news is that the shell is an American M1 shell that has been repainted however it’s a Parish Division of Dana rather than RJ Stampings shell. Thankfully it doesn’t have any stress cracks which seems to be a common feature of Parish M1 shells.

Well done i always felt the Parish shells were no where near as bad as the RJ Stamping types.