Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

2nd Lt. Named fixed bale Schlueter helmet

Article about: Does anyone know what the b-52 means on this helmet? The helmet is named to a Gilbert Wilson, the only person I could find was a 2nd Lt. Gilbert wilson with the 301st BG 352nd squadron. The

Yes that is his duffle bag. Great to have a named helmet and his bag. I tried to find his name in the obituary for that area but did not have any luck.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

I have only found 4 Gilbert Wilson's from Kentucky in the US archive and only one had 1 year of college and he was National Guard.The rest were laborers. Findagrave.com only came up with a plain headstone with no mention of his service. I'll keep looking for ya!
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 12-09-2015 at 02:05 AM.

Phil I thank you also for the help. As I said before i have hit a wall. I assume the rank is 2nd Lt. Due to the bar's gold color, and the Gilbert Wilson that was a co-polit on a b-17 was a 2nd lt.. I think he was from Indiana. Marty

Picture taken in U.S. before move to Italy

Standing in the photo are: Lt William D Thompson (Navigator), Lt Sergio H Sayago (Bombardier), Lt Thomas A Nutter (Copilot) and Lt Gilbert Wilson (Pilot)

Troy from USMF just sent me a email with this picture. Not sure if this is my guy but WOW if it was. The plane in the back looks like a b-24 liberator.
    Attached Images Attached Images 2nd Lt. Named fixed bale Schlueter helmet 

Does anyone have any idea of the meaning of the b-52 on the helmet?

Default I found my man

I found the owner of the helmet. His name is Gilbert Milton Wilson. The other fellow I thought it may be was not correct. I spoke with his son today and he did confirm the helmet I have was his Fathers. I may be able to purchase his fathers 1911 pistol we are in the talking stage at the moment. I still do not know what the b-52 means and I was hoping his son could shed some light in the mystery but no luck. Sorry I do not know why the picture and information is sideways, I could not correct it.
    Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd Lt. Named fixed bale Schlueter helmet  

?

Just a thought and a guess, doing some research and reading Mr. Wilson's Bio. He was in the Field Artillery Officer's candidate School in Ft. Sill where he was commissioned as a 2nd Lt. in 1944. After a few more stops in the US, he was sent to the Philippines from 1945-46.
    The 52 on his helmet could be the 52nd Field Artillery Battalion, that was assigned to the the 24th Division in the Philippines during the war. The "B" could be Battery "B" of the 52nd Field Artillery Battalion.

Sorry I am late getting back to this thread, nobody has post here since Feb.. That is a great theory and is possible. I want to thank you for the research that is another lead to follow.
    Marty

Well had to look again this awesome set Marty,now they say lightning doesn't strike twice well it has,no one has picked up on the fact this "S" carries a raised brass buckle chinstrap type usually only seen on McCord Fixed Loops,in all the years i've been doing this i've only seen "S" pots fitted with the Flat Brass Buckle,now thats two examples in as many weeks,guess who's got the other........

Jake, I was having a good day until you posted about the helmet I OWNED AT ONE TIME. I had to sell a few things to help remodel my rental house. Obal7 bought it off of eBay at a good price for him. I am looking forward to pictures of your new find, I like pouring salt in the wound.
    Marty

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast