Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

3 US M1 shells

Article about: I found these 3 shells do today. The first one is a fixed bale shell with seam in the front. It is non-magnetic. I think that is clear a WWII shell. The two other has swivel bales and rear s

Default 3 US M1 shells

I found these 3 shells do today. The first one is a fixed bale shell with seam in the front. It is non-magnetic. I think that is clear a WWII shell.
    The two other has swivel bales and rear seam, the question is : are they WWII shell or post-war ?

Kind regards
    Erik
    3 US M1 shells3 US M1 shells3 US M1 shells3 US M1 shells3 US M1 shells
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3 US M1 shells   3 US M1 shells  

3 US M1 shells   3 US M1 shells  

?

Default Re: 3 US M1 shells

The rear seams are not American, IMO. They are Euro clones I believe. I also have doubts about the fixed bale. The bales have been reworked, and usually when that has happened in the wartime period, unless in the field, fixed bales were replaced with swivel bales. The paint around these bales looks odd too.

As you are in Denmark, I would suggest the rear seams are Danish, either made in Denmark, or Danish refurbed American shells. The chinstraps and the bale shape make me believe this. Rear seamed US helmets are not generally considered to be wartime used in the ETO.

Best Regards,

Andy

Edit: Forgot to mention. These are just my opinions, I am not the best on Euroclones, and more knowledgeable people will be along soon.

Andy.
    Last edited by aj4010; 06-09-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Cool Re: 3 US M1 shells

front seamed schlueter pot,rear seamed argentinian pots(i think)?

?

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    front seamed schlueter pot,rear seamed argentinian pots(i think)?
    The straps do look similar to Argentinian, but I really think they are Danish issue M48'S. If so there should be a number stamped on the inside of the rim, usually at the rear.
    Danish M48 Civilforsvaret

Kind Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

i know where your coming from andy,except the webbing on m48 lids were all grey not tan as being shown above,hence why im leaning towards argentina etc,used to own danish m48 exactly the same as the lid in your thread,and that too had grey webbing,never known any tan colour to be used in production,where as most argy lids do have tan colour webbing,thats my opinion dave.

?

Good point Dave. These things give me a headache!

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]