Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

49th field hospital chaplain m1 helmet

Article about: I’m posting this helmet separate from the m1 Chaplain helmet thread due to the lack of information found on the internet concerning the 49th field hospital. The 49th field hospital served in

Default 49th field hospital chaplain m1 helmet

I’m posting this helmet separate from the m1 Chaplain helmet thread due to the lack of information found on the internet concerning the 49th field hospital. The 49th field hospital served in the ETO and served on the front lines as the first place a wounded soldier would see a doctor. The hospital helped with both allied and axis soldiers. The 49th served from France to Belgium.
    This helmet belonged to Lt. John Ogden Fisher and was assigned to the 49th FH. When Fisher was discharged from service his rank was that of Captain. Fisher was 1 of 25 Unitarian to serve as a Chaplain due WW2.

If anyone has information on the 49th field hospital, please add to the thread for future reference.

Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 49th field hospital chaplain m1 helmet   49th field hospital chaplain m1 helmet  

49th field hospital chaplain m1 helmet   49th field hospital chaplain m1 helmet  

Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote from John O. Fisher
    John O. Fisher reported that his Jewish assistant was of great value in working with German prisoners at the hospital. He was “fluent in Yiddish, which they took to be lousy German,But they understood it”

The best and worst times
    The United States Army Chaplaincy
    1920-1945

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Thank you for the information. I did find that during my search, information is so limited with the 49th, even on med-depot website they are overlooked.

I did find mention of the 49th in the history of the nursing corps in ww2 book.

?

Great helmet did you get it from the vet

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Great helmet did you get it from the vet
    No, I got the helmet from a friend who collects medical and chaplain helmets. He is heading back to the mission field and wanted to sell this one.

Marty

?

Another cherry there, Marty!
    I’ve always fancied some chaplain kit, specifically such a helmet, but it’s not exactly easy to come by...
    Very well done mate!
    Bob

Default Additionally information 49th FH

General information found on fold3
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 49th field hospital chaplain m1 helmet   49th field hospital chaplain m1 helmet  

One more. Bed increase, almost doubled. Must have had a lot of fighting in the area.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 49th field hospital chaplain m1 helmet  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast