Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

4th Infantry helmet

Article about: I have recently aquired a helmet that belonged to a friends father. The authenticity is not in question. The pot is stamped 104B, front seam with brass buckle. The helmet appears to have bee

?

Default 4th Infantry helmet

I have recently aquired a helmet that belonged to a friends father. The authenticity is not in question. The pot is stamped 104B, front seam with brass buckle. The helmet appears to have been a medics helmet with the insignias slightly painted over. A 4th infantry insignia was added on the front. We are still searching for the liner. I have seen others sights where some have lifted the paint to restore underlying insignias, however I do not want to lose the remaining one. Leave it as is? Any suggestions? Any idea of value?

Default Re: 4th Infantry helmet

personally i would take the paint off but have a professional do it, my friend had a helmet like yours with something underneath it and when they took the paint off it was an very rare marine coremans helmet with 4 white circles. - Nick K

?

Im sorry but i would leave it alone, the paint thats covering any insignia appears to be period, any type of paint removal , in this instance will remove all its history and authenticity, do not spoil a good original piece just out of curiosity

Personally i just bought a helmet with 2nd lieutenant bar painted over from ww2 just like your and i had a friend remove the paint from where the bar was and it came out beautiful ill post pics when i get it back. - Nick K

There is enough showing to know what it was before the repaint. I would leave it as is, especially if you can get the history of the helmet from the family of the vet. Was your friend's father a Medic? Or did he get the helmet issued to him after the repaint. From what you said, I assume your friend's Dad was in the 4th ID. If you remove the paint to liberate the Red Cross insignia you will loose the 4th ID insignia on the front. If the insignia is all correct, and it appears that it is since you got it from the vet's family, I would just document the source and leave it. Just my 2 cents. Jim G.

?

Thanks. He was not a medic. This was an instance where he evidently did not talk about his service and no one pushed to find out much. Would never consider removing the 4th id insgnia but did not know if raising the other 3 would enhance the helmet or not. If only the helmet could talk, why was the medics insignia painted over and reissued? What happened to his original helmet that he needed another?

Well its manly your decision do what you want to do. - Nick K