Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Advice on removing paint and painting M1 helmet liner.

Article about: Recently received a M1 liner that at some time had been painted a bright green. Would like to remove paint and repaint it. The inside is in great shape. What's the best paint remover to use,

Default Advice on removing paint and painting M1 helmet liner.

Recently received a M1 liner that at some time had been painted a bright green. Would like to remove paint and repaint it. The inside is in great shape. What's the best paint remover to use, and what is the proper color for a WWII liner? And where can I buy said paint?

?

I understand and respect your desire to make your item look 100 % original, but I must say my self that I personally would leave it be, I have a M1 that has a front seam (front seam in an M1 means it was manufactured in WW2), but it was painted a pea green, from reissue in the Vietnam War, and I left it as it was. Even if you do take the bright green paint off, putting a new paint on it would be essentially restoring it, which personally, I would never ever do.
    Just my thoughts
    Good day

P.S, I do not know of where you could find good paint removal or the paint that was used on liners in ww2.

It depends what it's been painted with, spirit based or acrylic. But assuming spirit based paint, you could trying using your wife or girl friend's nail polish remover, acetone. This when used sparingly with cotton balls can lift the top coat while leaving the undercoat of paint undamaged. The key is to work slowly and carefully. Try it out on a small area first to test if it will work OK.