Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Airborne liner

Article about: Hi guys this airborne liner turned up today with some markings that I need help with to identify its history. I have typed the hand applied markings that I can make out below:- Front of line

Default Airborne liner

Hi guys this airborne liner turned up today with some markings that I need help with to identify its history. I have typed the hand applied markings that I can make out below:-
    Front of liner
    "A" Co
    TOP OF THE ROCK
    NCOIC
    and on the rear of the liner
    TOP OF THE ROCK
    "A" Co
    2? 30th IN?
    The question marks are where the paint has chipped away leaving a partial letter or number. Googling TOP OF THE ROCK with airborne comes up with an airborne engineer battalion but I'm not sure if this is right and the NCOIC stands for non commissioned officer in charge. This is as far as I have managed to get with it.
    The liner has a Firestone logo with a 63 year on it, but difficult to see on the picture the F has been pressed over a Westinghouse logo (W in the circle). The webbing though hard to make out on the picture is inked with 14 SEPT 1964 with the white ink number 7 which was unique to Westinghouse produced liners. So it looks like with this transitional airborne liner that they were still using each other's mold presses or surplus molds and webbed up by Westinghouse??? This is a pretty rare liner to come by as only 3 companies were contracted to make these last duck cotton cotton liners before going on to full production making the new nylon liners that are far more common to come by today. Pat-Ric, Marmac and Westinghouse produced around 110,000 of these transitional airborne liners between them from 1964 to 1965.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Airborne liner   Airborne liner  

Airborne liner   Airborne liner  

Airborne liner