Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Airborne Modified M1 with experimental bales

Article about: This helmet was first posted in the M1s of 2014 thread, and it was requested that I post more in depth photos. So here it is, an early fixed bale modified with the addition of a "Swivel

?

Default Airborne Modified M1 with experimental bales

This helmet was first posted in the M1s of 2014 thread, and it was requested that I post more in depth photos. So here it is, an early fixed bale modified with the addition of a "Swivel" bale from a mess kit. These were designed to replace the M2 helmet, but the modification was found to compromise the integrity of the shell. This modification did eventually lead to the M1C.

This particular example is missing most of its paint and is rather rusty, but is a representative of a very hard to find helmet.
    (This link goes to another discussion on this forum about this type of helmet eBay M1. Unusual Claims)

?

That is a clever modification.

?

Many thanks for posting the extra images Austin is the general consequences these were Depot modified then ?
    I cant help but notice the hand hammered rivets on the chinstrap lug retaining clips it looks as though the rim has been hit with a punch and or a drive as well during the application there are the tell tale signs of the circular marks left behind or are these from wear they were setting up to press holes through for the rivets as they look rather sharp lined.

Regards Mark

?

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Many thanks for posting the extra images Austin is the general consequences these were Depot modified then ?
    I cant help but notice the hand hammered rivets on the chinstrap lug retaining clips it looks as though the rim has been hit with a punch and or a drive as well during the application there are the tell tale signs of the circular marks left behind or are these from wear they were setting up to press holes through for the rivets as they look rather sharp lined.

Regards Mark
    Yes, these were modified by Airborne Command sometime in 1943, as an experiment to better the M2. It would probably been done by some repair depot, and is definitely not factory. I'm not exactly sure what the origin of the circular marks is because it is not known what the exact process to create this was.

Certainly a talking point Helmet,very clever design indeed and a first for me so thanks again for showing another fantastic part of your collection............