Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Another M1: Authentic US WW2?

Article about: Dear all, May I ask you about this M1 shell and the liner please: It's authentic US WW2? The sweat band seems to be replaced (after war)? With best wishes alter musketier

Default Another M1: Authentic US WW2?

Dear all,

May I ask you about this M1 shell and the liner please: It's authentic US WW2? The sweat band seems to be installed in the wrong way?

With best wishes
    alter musketier

In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

All indications are WWII era but some better photos would help. Looks to have front seam, swivel bale, sewn on chin strap which is WWII. Liner looks WWII. It would help to get a photo in the crown of the liner to determine manufacturer. Also, look carefully inside the shell for any numbers or markings. Might have been repainted - not sure. NH

Dear Neil Hever,

Thank you very much for your evaluation. I had no idea of the possiblilty of repainting. Yes, better photos are necessary but the seller wrote me that there are so many people who ask for photos of his items so he asks me for a prove of being honest. That means to make a bid at the auction at first, BEFORE I get additional photos. IMO strange way of dealing.

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

I think the pot at least is a Korean-era re-paint indeed.

You could consider posting it on usmilitariaforum.com , to get some more opinions.

Quote by earlymb View Post
    You could consider posting it on usmilitariaforum.com , to get some more opinions.
    Dear earlymb,

Thank you very much for the hint.

With best wishes
    alter musketier

Good advice above. If you are happy with Korea era repainted shell then this might be OK. If you want strictly WWII issue then additional photos would help. NH

My 1st impression was also Korean War.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

WW2 shell+liner with postwar repaint on both and postwar sweatband+nape.

I agree with the other posts. Sweatband is certainly post war, as the WW2 era ones were the khaki color like the other bands around it. The shell is WW2 era given the front seam, though late or post 1943 production I believe by the swivel bales. If it served in WW2 and Korea, it's been through quite a lot.

Is that a T1 release hook on the chinstrap? It looks like it's missing part of it, but I think it is a T1. That adds to the Korean war evidence I believe.

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your further evaluations.

With best wishes
    alter musketier