Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Another m1 helmet

Article about: Tell me about my m1 helmet Recently my great uncle passed away. I am 15, and when I was about 9 he showed me a helmet that he said was his in ww2 and will be mine some day. Sure enough I hav

Default Another m1 helmet

Tell me about my m1 helmet
    Recently my great uncle passed away. I am 15, and when I was about 9 he showed me a helmet that he said was his in ww2 and will be mine some day. Sure enough I have it now,and I know close to nothing about helmets. The only thing I know about it is that it is an m1. If it helps, my grand father told me that he was in the "506"
    Anyway before he passed he told me that it is a rare helmet and will be with something someday, (I would never sell it), so I did a little reasearch and found out that 20 million were produced in world war two. So why did he say it was rare ? If it helps, I found a number inside that says 2A. Does this mean it was the second helmet made in ww2 ?
    here's a pic
    Another m1 helmet

Here's a pic of the inner helmet

Another m1 helmet

Default Re: Another m1 helmet

The helmet in question would have belonged to a member of Easy Company in the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 101st Airborne, better known as the "Band of Brothers"... They dropped into Normandy on D-Day, dropped into Holland during Operation Market Garden, defended Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge, and advanced into Germany and took Hitler's Eagle's Nest. They were made famous in the Stephen Ambrose book and the HBO mini series "Band of Brothers".

Yes, millions of M1 helmets were made, BUT not all of them are equal. The one in question would be a paratrooper variant which has D Bales and a different liner/ chin strap set-up so the helmets wouldn't get ripped off of the Paratrooper's head when he jump out of an airplane. On top of that, this helmet has the Spade symbol painted on the side of it to designate Easy Company (other companies in the 101st had different symbols painted on the side of their helmets).

IF you do in deed own this helmet (which almost everyone will doubt), you are sitting on a very valuable piece... both in a historical sense and a monetary sense.

?

Ditto.
    This kind of bullshit has no place on the forum.
    I seriously suggest banning this individual.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Ditto.
    This kind of bullshit has no place on the forum.
    I shouldn't have been so nice...

WOW,he really did sit out in a lot of rain!!

?

Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Another thought comes to mind this consolazio person has proven himself to be a liar. There is no reason to believe that he is 15 either.

IQ 15? Just a thought!

?

I don't doubt his age. Before even telling us he was 15, I always assumed he was young. My opinion is that Dom is immature and was trying to show off/get us to accept him. Unfortunately, he went about it the wrong way.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast