Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Another M1 for the U.S. Collection

Article about: nah thats ok im trying to get a rough date of the shell but the heat stamp you gave as 499A doesn't seem right as its to low for a swivel bail these came into use in November 43 & by thi

Default Re: Another M1 for the U.S. Collection

I know, If I ever need to sell it I know I can more then what I paid for it too, I do think is cool that its probably been through a couple wars but who knows

?

well its seen action in WW2, Korea & possibly Vietnam so its had a long hard life of service that's for sure

Another question also, Does the red paint mean it was fire helmet for period of time?

?

possible or it may have just been used as an undercoat before being painting green i have one that has an undercoat of pale blue paint before then being painted over with a dark glossy green.

Yes i think it was a Fireman(navy) helmet in Korea repainted and issued into Vietnam. It would be nice if you could get the green paint off then you will have a nice fireman helmet YET don't try and take the paint off talk to an expert first then let him do it - Nick K

Quote by theotherhomer View Post
    Another question also, Does the red paint mean it was fire helmet for period of time?
    yes it does, when I was in the navy, from 82-88, we didn't have the nice fire suits & oxygen bottles, all we had was rubber boots & old m-1 helmets painted red & a breathing apparatus that you popped a lid off & a chemical reaction made oxygen for about an hour, man, I should have grabbed a couple from the ship before I got out, just kidding.

?

for that you could try GOOF OFF it seems to be favored alot by helmet collectors that wish to remove new paint off helmets like this.

I've got goof off around here but I'm gonna leave that green coat of paint on though

Nick,

Your correct that it is a late ww2 issue pot. If indeed all the pieces stayed together all these years it's seen 3 decades of service. the problem with alot of the m series helmets is that things can be swapped so easily.

Nice helmet! Congratulations on your find. I too bought an m1 approx. 23 years ago thinking it was a Nam issue but i came to find that the pot was ww2 as well. No chinstraps made it harder to identify era. Yours is much nicer.

regards, Ty

Thanks Ty, And I have another helmet that I think was used in Vietnam but I'm unsure

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast